Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission range sensor... plz help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chalisewaters is an unknown quantity at this point
transmission range sensor... plz help

Is the transmission range sensor in or out of a 97 Honda civic lx none v-tech.....
It looks Like this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31C2ANYKVCL.jpg
Views:	5720
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	86451  
Old 03-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: transmission range sensor... plz help

Originally Posted by chalisewaters
Is the transmission range sensor in or out of a 97 Honda civic lx none v-tech.....
It looks Like this

That question(?) does not make sense to me, as written. What is it you are wanting to figure out?

In my world
Trans Range Sensor = Gearshift Position Switch.

Your picture is not what I consider to be the gear position switch.
I really can't even tell what the item in the picture is, I don't recognize it.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Unhappy Re: transmission range sensor... plz help

The picture is suppose to be a transmission range sensor for a 1997 Honda civic lx 1.6 engine none vtech. And my question was " when getting your transmission range sensor, are you more likely to take the transmission out To fix it or do you leave it in. The codes I got were p0705 showing a transmission range sensor 2 post. I'm having a hard time of anyone knowing what I'm talking about.
Old 03-23-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a hard time of anyone knowing what I'm talking about.
No wonder....I can see why.

The picture is suppose to be a transmission range sensor
I don't know what it is a picture of, but I know what it is not.

It's not a gear position switch for a Civic of that year with an automatic transmission.

And my question was " when getting your transmission range sensor, are you more likely to take the transmission out To fix it or do you leave it in.
Well, why didn't you say so?

The gear position switch is nowhere near the trans.

It is attached to the passengers side of the shifter assy., under the center console.
Should have 7 wires.

Part #2 in this pic

Link to catalog: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=1997&catcgry3=4DR+LX+%28A%2FC%29&catcgry4=KA4AT& catcgry5=SELECT+LEVER

p0705 showing a transmission range sensor 2 post.
What's a "2 post"?

The codes I got were p0705
There shouldn't be a P0705 at all in that car.
How about a P1705 code?

If it's a P1705
The computer had to see more than one of the gear position switch circuits turned on at once.

Drinks that have been spilled into the shifter area can cause the P1705 code.
If you are lucky you can simply remove the switch and clean it out.

Hot soapy water and a good drying might fix it.

HTH
Old 03-25-2014
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: transmission range sensor... plz help

Sorry for the miscommunication I'm a single mom and don't really know much about cars so I try to do a little research when getting my car fix!!!! But thanks a million times..... This was very much helpful, now I can stop pulling my hair out.
Old 03-25-2014
Registered!!

Is that picture of a transmission range sensor? Just so that I am clear. And no, any other codes came up about the sensor or sensors. Again sorry for any misconfusions
Old 03-25-2014
Registered!!

Question Re: transmission range sensor... plz help

Is the proper name for it would be " speed sensor" because every time I search transmission range sensor for my module car it pops up "speed sensor.
Old 03-25-2014

Is that picture of a transmission range sensor? Just so that I am clear. And no, any other codes came up about the sensor or sensors. Again sorry for any misconfusions
Whatever item I pointed out in the picture is the gear position switch. Honda does not call it the same name you keep calling it.

Is the proper name for it would be " speed sensor" because every time I search transmission range sensor for my module car it pops up "speed sensor.
No it is not a speed sensor.

If you want the correct part on (almost) the first try, you should use a Honda dealer.

I linked to the online dealer catalog at the bottom of that picture. They sell by mail order and at a significant discount. (Shipping is extra.)

The fix for the P1705 code could be completely free if removal and cleaning of the switch is successful.