Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic EX - 'Buzzing' during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bubba_chub123 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Civic EX - 'Buzzing' during acceleration

Good Day,

I currently have a 1997 Civic EX as my 'winter beater'. It currently has 92,000 km's (I know, unbelievable, but it's true).

Here's a brief history of past repairs (typical winter wear-and-tear):
-replaced fuel lines and brake lines (not entire line, but patched) - 3 yrs ago
-rear brakes replaced - 1yr ago
-cv joint replacement (both) - 1yr ago
-oil pan replacement - 1 yr ago

I just put my car back on the road for the winter, and noticed that there was a 'buzzing/humming' sound coming from the engine bay (sounded like passenger side). The noise gets louder as the RPM's climb, and even after releasing the gas, the buzzing continues, then slowly fades. After parking the car in the garage after a drive, the garage will also smell like gas/exhause. I know the car likely needs to have new O2 sensors installed, as well as spark plugs etc. (regular tune-up stuff), as this hasn't been done in the past 10 years. However; I'm now questioning whether or not it's worth spending the money on the tune-up, when I may have a much larger problem on my hands with this buzzing noise.

After doing some research, I found that a cracked manifold, or exhaust leak may be the cause of the problem, and would make perfect sense. I'm leaning more towards the former, as the sound seems to be coming from under the hood vs any other part of the exhaust system. I took a quick look under the hood, but I will need to do some work to get the heat shield off, as the bolts are completely rusted. My guess is that I'll find a crack leading to the O2 sensor hole, but I'm yet to verify this.

My question to you guys, is whether or not it seems like I'm on the right track or not, or if there's another possibility. I have a friend that does almost all of my repairs for me, but I would like to have a good lead prior to going in to visit him. I've also spent a lot on this car lately, and I'm debating as to whether or not it's time to let her go...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Civic EX - 'Buzzing' during acceleration

and noticed that there was a 'buzzing/humming' sound coming from the engine bay (sounded like passenger side).

After doing some research, I found that a cracked manifold, or exhaust leak may be the cause of the problem, and would make perfect sense.
Have you even opened the hood yet? (guess why I ask that...)

The exhaust manifold is on the drivers side, not the passengers side.
And I've never heard a cracked or leaking exhaust manifold make a buzz or hum noise. I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe a leaking manifold as a buzz or hum.
My question to you guys, is whether or not it seems like I'm on the right track or not, or if there's another possibility.
No.
There's all KINDS of stuff that can make noise in a car.
Don't sit in front of the computer and guess........

How would Stevie Wonder locate the noise?
Use your ears.

------

Open the hood.
Stick your head up in there and figure out exactly where the source of the noise is.
Use a stethoscope (rubber hose, long screwdriver, broomstick, long dowel, whatever is handy) as a helpful listening device.
If you have to, have someone else sit in the car and make the noise happen while you look for it.

I can't hear a dang thing from where I sit......

HTH