Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rough vibration at cold start up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WKD DRGN is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough vibration at cold start up?

On my 2000 civic ex there is a really bad vibration after starting the car on a cold start. It's so bad the mirrors shudder and shake. Once it warms up it seems to go away or settle. I've noticed sometimes I have to adjust the hood bumpers cause that seems to make the hood shutter. But this seems worse than that noise. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Last edited by WKD DRGN; 11-16-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Change to instant email notification.
Old 11-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rough vibration at cold start up?

Vibration as in engine runs rough/poorly?

Or vibration as in engine vibrations are transmitted throughout the body?
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

There seems to be a vibration coming from the hood or engine area that transfers to the rest of the car, especially noticeable by looking at the mirrors. They shudder like I have a radio on with the bass all the way up. I closed the hood last night and noticed its not solid sitting on the latch, like I can press on it and it has some play. Was thinking maybe I need to adjust the latch? I tried to get it to make the shudder happen last night when the engine was cold but it didn't happen. I was going to see if it was the hood again. I know I always really notice this happening after a 5-7 hour shift from working at my job, Advance Auto and I have to start the car from cold and I drive it a few hundred feet to the exit of the parking lot and wait for a chance for an opening in traffic to drive off. The shudder always happens the worse at this time, at idle before the temp gets to normal operating temperature.
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

The car doesn't seem to run poorly otherwise from the shudder. It seems to run normal and okay.
Old 11-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking maybe I need to adjust the latch?
You can try that if twisting the rubber snubbers doesn't help.

Is this a new problem?
A cold engine is supposed to idle faster then when it is hot, and if the (automatic) trans is in gear that does mean extra load and the engine is working a little harder, therefore might tend to vibrate a little more....

Driveway approach slope? Does it do this on flat ground too?

And aftermarket motor mounts suck for vibration.
EDIT: sucks donkey *****, a/m mounts vibrate like hell

IDK, just throwin them out there.

/got nuthin

Last edited by ezone; 11-17-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Donkey balls!