Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic, starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmswm is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic, starting problems

I did try to search for my problem and couldn't find it, so please forgive me if this is a repeat.

I haven't had any issues with starting recently until this morning. When I went to start it, the lights and everything worked fine, but it wouldn't start at all. There was no clicking or anything.

I can get it to start by running a connection directly between the battery and the starter solenoid, as long as somebody is in the driver's seat depressing the clutch (it's a manual transmission).

The only thing I can think of is that I messed something up two days ago when I replaced the brake light switch. It's not throwing any codes, and electrical stuff is not my comfort zone, so I'm at a loss. I'm only a moderately skilled mechanic. I generally call my father for help, but he's not available at the moment. I was hoping that the members here might be able to help me out. I'm a broke single mother, so anything I can do myself, I really need to do. I have an all data subscription for my car, but this isn't an issue I've ever dealt with.

Stats on the car that might be important: 1999 Civic LX, Manual transmission with cruise control (that last bit was important with the brake light switch). 155,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 99 Civic, starting problems

Did you mess with it at all when you did the brake switch? Here's the test for the clutch switch. Could try unplugging and cleaning with electrical contact cleaner or 99% isopropyl alcohol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch switch.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	86008  
Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmswm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Stock 99. After I posted I did think to look at that switch. With a little help over the phone from a truck driver friend, I was able to override the clutch switch to determine that was, in fact, the problem. I have it so I can start it without the aid of a second person at least. Like I said before, this is not the type of thing I have much experience with, so it took a while to think of it.
Old 11-07-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd still just try to spray it out with contact cleaner. Pretty common for contacts just to get dirty/corroded over time...probably could have done the same with the brake switch. I didn't want to explain how to bridge it...I figure you'd be able to figure it out for yourself from the diagram.

glad you got it working though