Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Removing Seat Belt Buckle Cover Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muttleytm is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing Seat Belt Buckle Cover Screws

I have a 1997 Honda Civic dx. I understand that this is a sixth generation Civic.

I have a problem with one of the front seat belt buckles. I think something is caught in it. For a time I could put the belt into the buckle but it would not latch. I was fiddling around in it with a jack knife and now I can't insert the belt.

I've heard that the dealer will replace the buckle free for the life of the car. I've also heard that it is common for stuff to get in the buckle and cause the problem. I was told it is easy to fix just by removing the two screws that hold the cover on the latch mechanism and clean it out. I'd rather try to fix it myself first is because the two local dealers are way across town. It will be easier for me to do it.

I found a Youtube video that addressed this in a 2002 Civic. The video said you need a Torx T10 bit with a hole in the middle for use on a tamperproof screw to remove the screws. I tried this but I couldn't get the bit attached to the screw. I then tried some other tamper proof bits and I still couldn't get a hold of the screws.

The bits I had were on a hex shaft for use in a hex driver handle. The bit has a shoulder on it so it can only go in so far.

I also took a look at the screw holes with a magnifying visor and some good lighting. I couldn't see any type of screw head in the hole.

Can someone tell me what sort of driver I need to take these screws out?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Removing Seat Belt Buckle Cover Screws

You'd need a regular driver of whatever size. Not just a 1/4" bit, but more of a normal longer screwdriver shaft type design.
I have a full set of these in my toolbox arsenal:

My advice for you: It's gonna be much faster/simpler to have it replaced under the warranty. FREE (not including the gas to get there).
Old 04-20-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a tamperproof T10 driver. It didn't work because the diameter of the shaft was too big. I then tried a foldable set where the diameter of the shaft is the same as the bit. This didn't work either.

As I mentioned earlier, I looked in the holes and did not see any sort of screw head inside. Do they have some sort of plactic plug between the screw head and the outside?

I may have to go to the dealer, but, I'll have to make an appointment, etc.
Old 04-20-2013
Registered!!

Here are the drivers I tried

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Z1...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-20-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muttleytm
Link deny.
As I mentioned earlier, I looked in the holes and did not see any sort of screw head inside. Do they have some sort of plactic plug between the screw head and the outside?
I don't know, I never looked or taken one apart.
I just replace them.
I am the one that replaces them under warranty

I can't afford to try to fix any of them for any reason. Too much liability.

You have a legitimate warranty concern. Use it.

Most likely, you would drop by, someone can write your work order and verify that the buckle does not work, they then order it.
(Depends on the size of the dealer shop. I'm in a small dealer, this is how we do it when possible.)
You leave. Parts are ordered, then received next day in most cases.
You then return the day after that to get it replaced.
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

hexane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by muttleytm
Thanks for the reply. I picked up a tamperproof T10 driver. It didn't work because the diameter of the shaft was too big. I then tried a foldable set where the diameter of the shaft is the same as the bit. This didn't work either.

I have the same problem... tried a T10 torn security (with the hole) driver and this didn't work.
I also don't want to go to the dealer... this is an easy fix and the dealer takes 4 hours for a 20 min job and then they may try to bullshit me in to paying $$$ for some "other" problem.
On my buckle, the T10 seemed to push in a plug or something but I can't see the head of any bit in there. I tried several other bits with no result.
(I have a 2001 Accord but, I'm sure the parts are same/similar).
Any answers?
Old 08-14-2013

Check this thread and video

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...uckle-fix.html
Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

hexane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ezone, but this video was my starting point and does not help me with the same wrench questions as Muttleytm...
Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

Also, if the belt is ever tampered with, or changed. The dealer will not touch it for free.