Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic won't start seems electrical

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012
Kevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rr081709 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic won't start seems electrical

I recently started having problems with my civic. It started when i was in 3rd gear, thought maybe at first tranny was wore out, but then later it started to happen in all the gears. figured needed to replace distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, wires... well i've tried all that and still don't work. Also replaced fuel filter thought maybe it was clogged as I can hear the fuel pump come on when i turn on ignition. Previously i had problems with the ignition control module, so i replaced it and still no good. Had a bad ignition coil but replaced it and still the car won't run, cranks very well but just won't fire. bought and obdII reader and it pulls a p1337 error (crankshaft fluctuation module not reading) so i follow that lead and I see that when i had a few keyways on the motor replaced and valve springs adjusted at a honda dealership no less, that they put the wire for this module under the belts and the belts have rubbed the wires raw. I suspect a short is involved, but can this keep my motor from running? Haven't had a helper to check to see if i'm getting spark at the plugs, but it doesn't appear that way... Is there anything else i should try that i haven't already? IK dumb question!
Old 12-18-2012
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 99 civic won't start seems electrical

It shouldn't keep the motor from running, but it will cause some problems because you have a short in the electrical system of the car.
Old 12-19-2012
Kevin

Sorry, the description of the faulty part may have been misleading, the common name for this part is the crankshaft position sensor located under timing belt cover near alternator.
Old 12-24-2012
Kevin

So i've replaced the crankshaft position sensor (Speed fluctuation module as my haynes book calls it) igniter (ignition control module) ignition coil, plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor button. But am not getting any spark. I've tried checking at the coil for spark as well, as verifying that there aren't any fuses blown, both in passenger compartment and under hood fuse box. With all new parts i should be getting something, shouldn't I? I know for sure that there is power to both the igniter and coil. I used this site to check for those: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/index...articles_1.php

and via the same site i was able to verify that the PCM is sending the signal to the ICM

Please if anyone can help I'd very much appreciate!