Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant inlet gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adwizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant inlet gasket??

Hi. I own a 1997 Honda Civic EX. 165K miles, Some time ago I had my car in for an oil change and the mechanic suggested that I replace my "coolant inlet gasket." It was leaking coolant. He said it wasn't bad so I thanked him and went on my way. To this day, I cannot find any vernacular or automotive phrase regarding this part or description. My car continues to run fine so whatever the leak is, it must be minor. Never the less, anyone out there ever heard of a "coolant inlet gasket?" Or what it might be or mean? Thanks for your thoughts / advice.
Old 10-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant inlet gasket??

Look at where the top radiator hose attaches to the cylinder head. The hose fitting that is bolted on the head.

That's a typical leak place for coolant to leak and there is no gasket, only silicone RTV sealant.

If that isn't it, go back and have the person point out exactly what they meant.

HTH