Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Flashing Check Engine Light? 98 CIVIC LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greencivic98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Flashing Check Engine Light? 98 CIVIC LX

I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX

the problem is the check engine light is on and also is flashing. i feel less power when i accelerate.

i recently changed:
spark plugs
spark plug wires
ditributor cap

after changing all of these the check engine light still comes on... im not sure whats going on.. any experts please help with info. thanks!
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough
Re: Flashing Check Engine Light? 98 CIVIC LX

You need to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the port under the driverside dash by your left knee. You can buy a scanner online for around $30-$50, or you can take it somewhere and have it scanned for around the same amount. Tell us what codes pop up.

Without the codes or any other symptoms, we're all just guessing in the dark.
Old 10-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us what codes pop up.
It's a misfire code. Pick a cylinder.

OP: After replacing parts, did you erase the codes?

Does it still misfire and flash the check engine light after the above parts replacement?

Get it fixed. The flashing light is bad. You can ruin the catalytic converter quickly when there are misfires.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

greencivic98 is an unknown quantity at this point

misfire #1 and #3 but i fix that problem already was spark plugs and wires but now same codes still showing.. its really wierd sometimes the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is OFF sometimes its SOLID sometimes it FLASHES? driving me crazy can someone help me please!
Old 10-18-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Then there is STILL a problem.
Rediagnose for the problem.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Frank0824 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys I have a 1998 Honda civic LX as well and I am having the same problem. I can get the codes for you but my car is having "multiple random misfires" I have done everything I can think of any I have taken the car to many mechanics, they keep telling me that I need a new engine. Or even that it's a head gasket. I had it compression tested the other day and they said cylinder 3 was dead, no compression at all and cylinder 1 was on its way out. I have had 3 tune ups done in less than a year and replaced the thermostat, had the coolant flushed, put a new distributor cap and rotor on but still it misfires. My car overheats, or at least the gauge says it is. When it starts to overheat I open the hoop and the coolant reservoir is boiling. My oil inst leaking or burning but it gets low really quick. Sometimes the car wont start either, it cranks but wont turn over. I replaces the starter and it still does it. My engine light flashes, then goes out or sometimes its solid. Im confused and no one knows whats wrong. I will look for the codes that popped up and let you know.
Old 10-27-2012

I have taken the car to many mechanics, they keep telling me that I need a new engine. Or even that it's a head gasket.
If you want correct answers, you must seek out a mechanic that is smart and honest.
Find ONE you trust and stick with them.

EDIT: I erased a bunch of crap here.

This engine sounds like it has a multitude of issues, and that may warrant finding a replacement unit.

Rings, valves, or something else. Probably valve related.....Burned valves are likely. Damage from overheating, or just a plain old worn out head gasket that has been ignored, or fans inoperative, or some other things....

Any of these can result in needing the engine taken apart to fix, and sometimes it really is cheaper to replace with a low mileage junkyard engine rather than spend a bunch of money to overhaul your old one properly. Be sure to prep the new one before installation, like a fresh timing belt and water pump, gaskets and seals, etc., while it is out of the car and easy.

All this only addresses a symptom though.

A root cause needs to be found and resolved so that you don't trash a new engine after spending a bunch of money. Fans, coolant leaks, something probably started all this.
Old 05-13-2018
Registered!!

Joshua17 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1998 honda civic lx d16y7 that pulls up a check engine light its caused by the bottom o2 sensor not being there because I have a aftermarket exhaust system it flashes when I start to drive it and if I shut it off and restart while I'm driving it it does not flash anymore could my top o2 sensor be bad I rebuilt my whole engine this past week with everything new thanks for any help
Old 05-13-2018

Recheck your codes.
A check engine light will only flash with active severe misfire.