Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Input shaft bearing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
judas009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Input shaft bearing issue?

hey guys i have a lot of noise in my transmission on my 1997 civic LX. it sounds like a bad bearing and is really noticeable at idle when in neutral. However when i push the clutch in the noise goes away. At first i thought it was the throwout bearing, but upon further research it seems its most likely the input shaft bearing. I figured while i have everything apart i should go ahead and replace my clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing since i dont think has ever been replaced on it and the car is almost at 190k. so my question is do i have the right parts? im looking at ordering 7 and 4 on this diagram

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...UTCH%20HOUSING

looks to me like that would be my imput shaft bearing and the oil seal is just for good measure. thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Input shaft bearing issue?

Originally Posted by judas009
when i push the clutch in the noise goes away.
That is a trans issue, not throwout. Input shaft bearing is most common.

7 and 4 on this diagram
Looks right to me. Bearing and seal.
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That is a trans issue, not throwout. Input shaft bearing is most common.

Looks right to me. Bearing and seal.
awesome thanks, would it be possible that the input shaft bearing is number 13 on this diagram?

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...MT%20MAINSHAFT

im not sure which end of the shaft its at and just wanted to make sure before i go ordering stuff.
Old 10-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The front input shaft bearing is the one in the first post. This would be the rear. You PROBABLY want the other one. You should be able to tell which one is noisy once it is apart and you can spin each one by hand. If there is any doubt, change both.
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The front input shaft bearing is the one in the first post. This would be the rear. You PROBABLY want the other one. You should be able to tell which one is noisy once it is apart and you can spin each one by hand. If there is any doubt, change both.
cool thanks. i might just order both and send whichever one back that i dont need. ill only have 4 days in which my car can be apart so that doesnt leave much time lol