Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loss of power and gas eater after tranny job

Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rafov is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Loss of power and gas eater after tranny job

Please somebody help me!!!

This is the history: 4 weeks ago I accidentaly flood the car in the street, almost 2/3 of the tire, the next day the transmission was working bad, then I checked and the cap was gone and the fluid was pink like a strawberry shake, time to rebuild the tranny said the mechanic, so we did it.

After that job, the car is not working as it was before the flood, it started to spend more gas, it was like 30 mpg / gal, now 25 the most, and lost power, besides when I try to accelerate the car there is a rough sound under the roof of the car like if there were something broken on the exhaust or a sound like that, it decreases when I remove the foot from the gas pedal so I think it's related to that.

No engine light and I check codes even without it, but there are no codes or something like that, WHAT COULD IT BE? The mechanic said it is all right, but I know my car, and I know there is something wrong. By the way I replace timing belt and water pump at the dealer 3 months ago, it only has 93.000 miles and is a Civic 99 DX

I'll appreciate if somebody can help me with this.
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Loss of power and gas eater after tranny job

first of all i find it hard for water to get in the tranny, if water can easily get into the tranny then it would be easy for tranny fluid to leak out at any time.
tranny fluid are known to be pinkish and when its like dark redish color its a sign of burning tranny. your mechanic shoulda done a flush on the tranny instead of rebuilding it. you could have a chance of having hydrolock
i say check the air filter to see if its wet. do a full antifreeze flush, change oil and oil filter, change spark plugs, wire, caps and rotors.
if water made its way to the combustion chamber then the motor would have a hard time burning all the fuel and if the spark plug not working fully you can have un burn fuel too
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by asianboy781
first of all i find it hard for water to get in the tranny, if water can easily get into the tranny then it would be easy for tranny fluid to leak out at any time.
tranny fluid are known to be pinkish and when its like dark redish color its a sign of burning tranny. your mechanic shoulda done a flush on the tranny instead of rebuilding it. you could have a chance of having hydrolock
i say check the air filter to see if its wet. do a full antifreeze flush, change oil and oil filter, change spark plugs, wire, caps and rotors.
if water made its way to the combustion chamber then the motor would have a hard time burning all the fuel and if the spark plug not working fully you can have un burn fuel too
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that, replace all the stuff, but maybe I forget to mention that the cap and the fluid meter wasn't there after the flood, so the fluid and the tranny starts working, bad. Before the rebuild job the mechanic did flush the tranny, but it get worst. then reflush it and stop working, so that was the moment we decide to rebuild the tranny. There is a smell like gas on the pipe, do you think it is related with the O2 sensor? or just a tune up will fix it?
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

if you are smelling gas off the tail pipe then u have un burn fuel,
so its possible the water made its way to the conbustion chamber, and also it could effect your spark plugs,
pull out the plugs and inspect them
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

if the o2 sensor has gone bad u will get a cel code for bad 02
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

if you are smelling gas off the tail pipe then u have un burn fuel,
so its possible the water made its way to the conbustion chamber, and also it could effect your spark plugs,
pull out the plugs and inspect them
Thanks, today I started with the air filter, a little better, I'll check the sparks to be sure, which ones do you recommend, I'm not an expert, just want to save some money and do this tune up by myself.
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

theres only 4 spark plugs , so what you are telling me that water did made its way into the cumbustion chamber, i would say change all 4 spark plugs they are cheap to replace
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

oh i forgot to mention check the air box resonator, its another black box that is located inside the right front bumper, if you open the splash shields at the front right side wheel
you will see a black box, check to see if water is in there, if so drain it out
Old 08-24-2012
Registered!!

oh i forgot to mention check the air box resonator, its another black box that is located inside the right front bumper, if you open the splash shields at the front right side wheel
you will see a black box, check to see if water is in there, if so drain it out
How can I do that? do I have to take off the whole bumper? do you know if there is a video or intructions? now I change spark plugs and ignition wires, it got better but is not the same, and feel resistance in the gas pedal, I'm going crazy man!!!