Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic No Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dmac667 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic No Acceleration

Hey everyone new to joining this forum but not new to reading the helpful content and advice posted on here. Let me start off by saying I am a complete novice when It comes to cars but I have been learning a lot recently by reading here and other forums.

That being said let me get to my problem. I have a 99 Civic automatic. It started a few weeks ago, I noticed my gas mileage was far worse then It was before. Really had no assumptions to why this was happening. Then one day went to work drove fine after ten hrs came back drove my car about a mile and cel popped on and it stopped accelerating. Was to tired to worry about it so I came back the next day. Some reason I thought it was a computer error so I reset the cel to see if I could make it home. I couldn't and the same situation occurred.

The car is now at my house..idles fine and everything, just revs up but does not accelerate. Also when trying to accelerate when on break sounds like a whistling noise from near the transmission. I have done a ton of research and read a multitude of problems. Pretty much summed it up to the cat converter(only other symptom I have experienced is smell of fuel) or transmission problems like the torque converter or solenoids. I just was wondering If someone could point me in the right direction because I dont want to take it to a transmission shop if its the cat converter or vise versa. Haven't gotten the code to come back because I tried resetting it again and haven't taken it for a drive in fear of making more problems. Plenty of trans fluid, recently coolant system was worked on and I cleaned the throttle body because of jumpy idle if either of these can point to the possible problem..thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 Civic No Acceleration

What code was stored in it?
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

The scan tool I bought didn't read a code after I reset it? I dont know if it's just a cheap one or what
Old 07-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh.....You are supposed to read the code(s) before you erase them. Would have been helpful info.

Use a stethoscope to hear if the noise is coming from the trans......They can and do whine and squeal sometimes when they have problems.

If you think the exhaust is clogged up, try removing the front O2 sensor and see if that gains a hint of performance. If it does gain a little bit, then you could unhook the exhaust somewhere between the engine and the cat to see if performance comes back.
NOTE: If the engine will rev up high with your gas pedal on the floor, the exhaust probably isn't very clogged.

HTH
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

Yeah i know that..i just haven't gotten the code to kick back on and I thought it stayed stored even after reset for some reason. But I will try the exhaust stuff tomorrow. Thank you