Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C compressor fan and compressor not engaging (No dash light)

Old 07-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C compressor fan and compressor not engaging (No dash light)

Originally Posted by Grimlock
The condenser fan never comes on.
Now we're getting some handy info....
the heater appears to be working just fine when I switch over to it
It should, it has (almost) nothing to do with the AC.

That narrows it down to the heater control panel (HVAC control unit), or the AC thermostat.

Or related wiring anywhere in the dash or engine compartment. Got mice?

I would ground the blu/wht wire at the AC thermostat connector and see if the compressor (and cond fan) kicks on, that would tell me if the rest of the car is ok and if I should test the control panel and thermostat next.

A wiring diagram, a service manual, and some pointed testing at/of/on/for each component would be my next steps before pulling the trigger on the heater control panel. (Or just toss a "known good" one in it from a car that works right and see what happens.) You already said the AC button light doesn't work right.

HTH
Old 07-22-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
hmm...
This is my community service. I'm wearing an orange jumpsuit as I type this.
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Now we're getting some handy info....

It should, it has (almost) nothing to do with the AC.

That narrows it down to the heater control panel (HVAC control unit), or the AC thermostat.

Or related wiring anywhere in the dash or engine compartment. Got mice?

I would ground the blu/wht wire at the AC thermostat connector and see if the compressor (and cond fan) kicks on, that would tell me if the rest of the car is ok and if I should test the control panel and thermostat next.

A wiring diagram, a service manual, and some pointed testing at/of/on/for each component would be my next steps before pulling the trigger on the heater control panel. (Or just toss a "known good" one in it from a car that works right and see what happens.) You already said the AC button light doesn't work right.

HTH
Correct. AC light never comes on. Once this happened the system would no longer run.
Old 07-23-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is my community service. I'm wearing an orange jumpsuit as I type this.
Community service? lol.. it's a job... and you get paid for it no? Or are you talking about helping people on the forum?
Old 07-23-2012

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Community service? lol.. it's a job... and you get paid for it no? Or are you talking about helping people on the forum?
Yes, I wrench for a living.

Sitting here giving out help and answers on my own time is community service.
Old 07-23-2012

Correct. AC light never comes on. Once this happened the system would no longer run.
**AHEM**

(Or just toss a "known good" one in it from a car that works right and see what happens.)

HTH
Yeah, I think I'd try to do this first, if one that works is available.
Old 07-24-2012
Registered!!

**AHEM**

Yeah, I think I'd try to do this first, if one that works is available.

I'll replace this and update.

Load the part cannon!
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Update

Took the dash apart and as soon as I got underneath I found the culprit. It was a loose connector at the heater control panel(which was suggested as the culprit). About as easy a fix as there could be.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it's fixed ezone is the man.
Old 06-19-2015
Fyi
Registered!!

Fyi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done several searches over the last few days in an attempt to figure this out, and have been unsuccessful in finding a scenario that matches the one I'm currently in.

My A/C went out last weekend on my 96 civic LX while returning from a road trip. after doing some investigating here's what I've found so far:

1. The system is holding pressure. Static pressure is ~100 psi on both the high and low sides. when attempting to engage the a/c system from inside the car, these conditions remain the same.
2. I've checked the fuse box next to the battery and under the steering column. My understanding is that 17 under the dash, and two(cant recall description of these two fuses) under the hood are related to the a/c. Is this correct?
3. moved around the relays for the compressor and the condenser fan. No changes to current situation. I have not yet attempted to jump the relays.
4. No awkward noises were heard before the system stopped working. I was in the car and pushed the button for the a/c. the a/c button does not light up when pressed.
5. about a week earlier, the #4 setting for the fan (max setting) stopped working. 1-3 still function properly.

for those of you with any experience with this, what typically could be the cause for this, besides what I've listed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had a problem with a 04 civic the ac clutch an ac fan would not turn on I put a test light on the battery's ground an touched the wire on the compressor the first wire on left side closest to battery an the ac fan an clutch all started working that's when I knew the relays an fuses were good but the built in sensor was gone an needed to replace compressor hope this helps somebody thanks. Dan
Old 06-19-2015

Originally Posted by Fyi
the built in sensor was gone an needed to replace compressor
FYI that little sensor (thermal protector) was available separately from the compressor.

HTH