Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 LX engine swap: D16Y7 to D16Z6 v-tec

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeremiahm is an unknown quantity at this point
98 LX engine swap: D16Y7 to D16Z6 v-tec

My 98 is dead after 300,000+ miles... Threw a rod through the block.

I have another civic available to me for next to nothing. The engine is fine. I'd like to swap motors between the two cars. The donor car is a 95 EX V-TEC. Both cars are standard shifts. The 98 is an LX. Put it this way, when I scrap the extra car and blew motor, I'll make money in the long run. This is how this swap is feasible, it's free...

Can this swap be done? If so, can someone give me a run down on what to look for, what gaskets I'm going to need, if any, and what kind of computer issues should I expect? (Actually, would I be smart to put the donor car's computer in the LX while I'm at it?)

The donor car has a new clutch already in it, so I'm thinking I may as well just go ahead and swap trannies while I'm at it. Good move? I know the LX's tranny is good, should I risk it?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: 98 LX engine swap: D16Y7 to D16Z6 v-tec

technically this would be illegal. you cant swap an engine thats older than the car your putting it in...but im sure it could be done.

you would need the ecu from the donor car since it is obd1 (i believe) and since the d16z6 has vtec and your lx doesnt. and i would get a headgasket set and a timing belt kit for the engine your swapping.

as for transmissions id keep both. have one for backup or sell it if it still shifts smooth. the z6 tranny is geared closer though im pretty sure.

if your going to want more power when the engine is out is the optimal time to replace rods pistons or anything in the bottom end.