Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trick to installing radiator hose???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Trick to installing radiator hose???

I'm replacing the lower radiator hose and though installing the bottom portion isn't a problem, the upper end is. I can't even get 1/4 of it installed.

Any of y'all know of any tricks installing the radiator hose? I was thinking of dipping the end in boiling water to help soften/expand the hose.

What do you think?

Last edited by Nosepicker; 11-06-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Trick to installing radiator hose???

Lube it?
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Okay, got the top part in but lower end is a PITA!!! Spent hour or so pulling and wiggling and only got 1/4 of it in. Lubed the inner tube and outlet and still no go. The OEM hose inneris so freakin' small/tight it just won't slide over.

This sucks!
Old 11-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

try lubing it with coolant. is it an oem hose? i just did this on the accord with an aftermarket hose (good quality) and it went in no problem after a bit of wiggling. sounds like yours is too tight or something. you shouldnt be forcing it on because that can cause other problems. you could also try dipping the hose in boiling water that will cause it to expand.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Yeah, it's OEM. I dipped both ends in boiling water and it helped a little. And I tried lubing it with coolant too. I got it half way in and said, "Screw it...I'm clamping it and calling it a night!!!" 3 hours trying to squeeze the radiator hose in!

Screw you Honda! Honda's are such a PITA to work on. Everything's so compact and you have to take off a billion parts just to get to that one part. And it's the same with their motorcycles.
Old 11-06-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

note to self, buy aftermarket hose next time i need to change em. i think im overdue already at 100k miles.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

In my opinion, they don't need to be changed until they break.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

In my case I believe the old rubber end and clamp lost it's elasticity/tightness...whatever you want to call it. With the new hose and it's tight@$$ end I don't expect it to leak. I really hope this doesn't come back and bite me in the @$$...and discover it wasn't the hose but something else causing the coolant leak.
Old 11-06-2011
Premium Member

yeah i really hate replacing something thats not broken, but after seeing how the hose just blew up on the accord (also around 100k) and almost lost all the coolant while driving, idk. the hose seemed fine too no cracks or damages. my civics TB coolant hose (the small one) when out really early around 30k miles so i replaced that with a stronger fuel injection hose that is much harder. the plastic holder dug into the stock hose over time and finally poked a hole. so far the fuel injection hose held up fine all this time. im very nervous about coolant either being lost or something like the thermostat not opening and the engine overheats. that coolant gauge is useless too because i dont think i would ever notice anything. we dont even have a dummy light for overheating.