Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rookie at Work w/a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011
99 Civic EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
melumj is an unknown quantity at this point
Rookie at Work w/a few questions.

I'm hoping MelJ or Gear Box might have some input for me. So heres how my last 2 days went and I have a few questions. My apologies for the novel in advance.

Yesterday, installed AEM short ram intake. Very easy, only hickup was the air bypass to vtec (not sure on that, hard tube to head that inserts on intake hole closest to throttle body). Had to use zip ties to keep it from sliding out. Sounds awsome, noticed a little better throttle response and maybe a little more power. Then again maybe its psychological with the nice sound . Today, I'm noticing a low whistle (best I can describe) coming from the intake filter area. I did not notice this prior to doing all the below. Should I be concerned or any ideas what happened?

Today
1) Changed the tranny fluid. Would have takin 15min, but I spent 30min trying to loosin the Fill Plug (I was actually trying to tighten, dumba**). Went well though.

2) Cleaned the throttle body with a soft cloth and a little carb cleaner on the cloth. I got a lot of build up and gunk out from around the valve.

3) Pulled the IACV and found the screen to be extremely dirty. I actually used a paper towel to remove the main gunk around the edges and then sprayed a generous amount of carb cleaner on the screen. I let that dry for about 15 to 20min before remounting. I only disconnected the electrical on that part and not the hoses. They would not come off with ease and I said screw it.

After all todays work I started the car and let it idle for about 5min. I then took it for a test drive. At a complete stop, the idle was literally pegged at 0. The car did not die, but could tell it was very close. It did this at each stop sign. No other issues, and I it seems to have a little more power as well maybe from the throttle body cleaning and IACV cleaning. When I got home I did the ideal learn. Disconnected the negative terminal for over 10secs, reconnected and started car, touched nothing and let idle for 10min. Seems to be idling now at about 600 rpms until i rev the engine, then it drops down to around 300 rpms and if I apply the brake it goes down to about 200rpms. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading and any words of wisdom.

Last edited by melumj; 06-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2011
99 Civic EX

Re: Rookie at Work w/a few questions.

For laughs, I also want to note my dealership experience. Genuine M/T Fluid was $7+ per qt, whatever still cheap. However, I forgot the washers for the plugs so I went back today and when I requested the 2 washers they said they only had the drain plug washer since the dealership uses a compressor or something to fill the trannys. Got home and the washer is almost twice as big as the Fill plug washer (not even drain plug). What the heck did they give me? I told them the year of the car. Each washer was $2.30 by the way haha.
Old 06-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably hooked something up wrong or not well enough and have a vacuum leak.
Old 06-18-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I just brought my external inside. I'm gonna fire it up and get that manual for you. I caused a vacuum leak while changing my oil. I went from the top to get my filter and knocked a hose off. When I go to get the washers from the dealer, they're usually free :\ . I guess it depends on the place. Well, the small one is because they're the same as the oil drain plug washer. The other one is like a buck or 2 here. When I go, I always make sure to tell them exactly what it's used for. Sometimes the parts guy is just that....the parts guy. Knows nothing but how to look stuff up on the computer.
Old 06-18-2011
99 Civic EX

Originally Posted by tbohar
Probably hooked something up wrong or not well enough and have a vacuum leak.
Ok, but I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong. I know the intake connection to the throttle body is good, the outer hose (to intake nipple) is definitely good. The middle sensor input is pretty tight and sealed. The last, stiff tube nearest throttle body would be the only thing possibly not tight. It is just snug, with zip ties holding it securely in. Is there a work around to make that seal tighter? It is not inserted at a perfect 90 deg angle, the intake just does not adjust or sit right for that. Thats my best guess.

The IACV should not have anything to do with it correct? I simply removed the 2 bolts holding it on, disconnected the electrical part, cleaned the screen and bolted back on.

Is it possible the ECU just needs more time to "Idle Learn" further? I thought I read it can sometimes take a full tank of gas for everything to be properly calibrated and readjusted.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-18-2011
99 Civic EX

Originally Posted by MelJ
I just brought my external inside. I'm gonna fire it up and get that manual for you. I caused a vacuum leak while changing my oil. I went from the top to get my filter and knocked a hose off. When I go to get the washers from the dealer, they're usually free :\ . I guess it depends on the place. Well, the small one is because they're the same as the oil drain plug washer. The other one is like a buck or 2 here. When I go, I always make sure to tell them exactly what it's used for. Sometimes the parts guy is just that....the parts guy. Knows nothing but how to look stuff up on the computer.
Awesome, thanks a lot!
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by melumj
Is it possible the ECU just needs more time to "Idle Learn" further? I thought I read it can sometimes take a full tank of gas for everything to be properly calibrated and readjusted.

Thanks for the help.
This is completely true, although the idle re-learn will get everything basically set right it won't be perfectly adjusted until you've done some driving.
Old 06-18-2011
Seeking Knowledge From the Car GODS

counterkid is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed a short ram on my civic, and under certain throttle applications it would make a slight whistle, almost the same sound as a turbo spool but much more quiet. I believe it to be a normal sound of a short ram. My friends Integ did the same thing.
Hopes this helps.
the kid behind the counter
Old 06-18-2011
99 Civic EX

Originally Posted by counterkid
I installed a short ram on my civic, and under certain throttle applications it would make a slight whistle, almost the same sound as a turbo spool but much more quiet. I believe it to be a normal sound of a short ram. My friends Integ did the same thing.
Hopes this helps.
the kid behind the counter
I think your exactly right. The sound is definitely right at the filter and actually after my idle has settled in a little better I dont really hear it. Thanks for the info.