Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

overtightened a header bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JackedByJack is an unknown quantity at this point
overtightened a header bolt

on a 96 ek hatch, please tell me this a quick fix, its the valve/header cover on the very top of the engine i accidentually overtightened one and i dont know how to fix this
Old 06-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: overtightened a header bolt

is it a header bolt or valve cover bolt? you can try those ez-out bolt extractor kits but it may need to be drilled and retapped.
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
is it a header bolt or valve cover bolt? you can try those ez-out bolt extractor kits but it may need to be drilled and retapped.
not 100% but its the cover that had the spark plugs coming into. is this going to be expensive to fix?
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Its the valve cover. If you are able to use ez outs like gearbox said then its not expensive at all.

As you already may have found out valve cover bolts really dont get very tight they usually just get snug and the a pinch more.
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

ok thanks a bunch, so all i do is ease it out by loosening and pulling on it then put it back in or do it need to get a new bolt? i did all the other ones just right i just barely over torqued this one and ive never done that before so i wasnt sure what to do. and how important is it to fix this bolt. can i drive it home tonight or do have a day or 2?
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

ok sorry i wasnt paying attention when i wrote that last one. can someone sen dme in the direction of a cheaper one. all the ones i see are around 85$ or better yet a store that sells them, like o'reilly or autozone?

Last edited by JackedByJack; 06-07-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its not an immediate problem since the other bolts should hold it down enough not to leak oil. but its not something you can ignore either
Old 06-08-2011
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

I never do, but it is a good idea to use a torque wrench.
Old 06-08-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Best thing to do is use a easy out like said above its the cheapest thing to do. You can buy a easy out by itself and not in a set of them. Just buy a easy out that is alittle smaller than the bolt and also a drill bit. Drill a hole in the bolt then use the easy out to get the bolt out. You will have to buy another bolt probably but it will be cheap. You can go to honda and get one.

Now the valve cover bolts are not suppose to be tightened that tight. I think the valvecover bolts are suppose to be torqued down to 30 something inch pounds which is not much at all. Its easy to get the correct torque spec with out a torque wrench is using a screwdriver attachment for the socket.
Old 06-08-2011
Premium Member

i think that translates to around 8 ft/lbs. ive always done more and never broke any so far. just seems so loose that i keep going lol.
Old 06-08-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
i think that translates to around 8 ft/lbs. ive always done more and never broke any so far. just seems so loose that i keep going lol.
Lol ya its something like that. I always tighten them alittle tighter just in case.