Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic loud rattling from underside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meekerz is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic loud rattling from underside.

Most pronounced at 16-1700 rpm in neutral as well while in gear. (5 spd manual) any ideas??
Old 05-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 99 civic loud rattling from underside.

get under the car and start prying stuff, look for teared stuff, or else, as anyone would do
Old 05-19-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'd like to add to that madness. Get screwdriver or something of similar build and place it up against stuff while the car is running. Just use common sense(safety first!). It's a start. Could be a number of things to be honest.
Old 05-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MelJ
I'd like to add to that madness.
LOL!

Originally Posted by MelJ
Could be a number of things to be honest.
my point exactly
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

OMG, you guys are killing me. First thing to check for is rusted heat shield(s).

I never hear any sounds from mine beside the exhaust. That tends to happen when you turn the stereo up to 20. lol
Old 05-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. I feel like an idiot. Totally forgot about the heat shield. Lol.
Old 05-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by lazlong
OMG, you guys are killing me. First thing to check for is rusted heat shield(s).

I never hear any sounds from mine beside the exhaust. That tends to happen when you turn the stereo up to 20. lol
if you are up north, with all the salt, i have seen the scariest things hanging from under the cars

And never understimate rattles - mine front rattle was being caused by this a few years ago - visual inspection solved my problem.
Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  117.1 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-20-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Holy sh*t! You just love to pull that out, don't ya? lol

Heatshields are the most obvious but, yes, do a visual of everything.
Old 05-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by lazlong
^^ Holy sh*t! You just love to pull that out, don't ya? lol

Heatshields are the most obvious but, yes, do a visual of everything.
just proving my point you never know, like the beer can with the "how long did it take to find me?" that someone else did post