Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission slippage

Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9civicdx8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation transmission slippage

got a 98 civic dx 2 door coupe auto, i had the transmission replaced back in november then had to have the shift solenoid replaced and since then the car has started acting up. couple things are, horrible gas mileage (200 miles to a tank) when i pass someone with the pedal to the floor it will red line the rpms while slipping and catching gears causin the car to lurch then once i get to a stop light after that the car shuts down and will just sit there and crank, it will start but bogs and dies. looked up on the crank sensor and it has all the "symptoms" but lookin for 2nd opinion before i tear into the car, i have also heard could just be that solenoid is still bad or bad torque converter... please help car is my daily driver and i need it to last at least another 2 months...
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough
Re: transmission slippage

Sounds like you have multiple problems. Was the transmission rebuilt or picked up from the junkyard? Was the tranny fluid replaced? Does the tranny fluid look dark, and smell burnt? Is the tranny fluid level correct. Part of your tranny problem sounds like burnt clutches.

The other half the problem is in the engine, when was the last it was tuned up? Have you tried fuel injection cleaner?

You may be on the verge of some very expensive repairs.
Old 03-13-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

did you filled the torque converter with atf fluid before you put it in to the tranny, 1 it can heat up and fried and will go bad
2 if you change tranny a good flushed at the shop is a must
they have a machine whiches it purge everything out and filled it to spec,
but then if your tranny starting to slip then its bound to get worse
check tranny oil
if its dark color and smell burnt then your tranny is fried
Old 03-13-2011
Registered!!

i picked up the transmission from a guy who owns his own shop in a city about an hour from me, has 112k on the transmission and torque converter, both were swapped from a car he personally owned and drove it was in a rear end collision that they considered totaled so he parted the car. he did the swap in his shop, torque converter and trans. first day driving home had the shifting issue, he swapped the solenoid on the top front of the trans, drove fine for about 2 days then started the intermittent shutdowns, slipping and lurching when i tried to pass and leaking fluid from that solenoid, i check the level every other day and in the past 3 weeks i have not had to add fluid it has been staying at the same level and color has not changed and does not smell burnt. i have asked a few shops including a honda dealer and they say it could just be the crankshaft sensor with the sounds of the issues. but they want 300 dollars to just do a look over not even really tear into anything. i personally did the motor swap with a buddy who specializes in hondas winter of 09 after blowing a rod bearing and wedging the piston and the car ran strong and fine with the original transmission and torque converter after doing it then a month later blew the transmission.
Old 03-13-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

hmm wierd about the slippage and changing its gear part
all the motor is doing is spinning the torque converter spin the tranny
and off u go rather shifting on its own is up to the tranny not the engine
if anything wrong with the motor it should throw off check engine light
since its obd2 u can scan it. when the prev owner got rear endend during a stop if its hard enough it can damage the tranny recheck the shift solonoid double check all wires that is connected, u should take a vid of the drivng cuz i wanna be sure of wat i think it is
Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

i have not had to add fluid it has been staying at the same level and color has not changed and does not smell burnt
That's good news. Are you sure you got the same transmission and solenoid your car needed so all the electrical controls match up? If the fluid is OK, the next thing to check is the solenoids and the wiring and electrical signals related to it. You're going to need a manual to do that.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

I tried gettin a video but doesn't come out clear... now its doing that whole slipping thing again but now my rpms dropped to 0 while driving and I could still hear my motor running