Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My Power Door Locks stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southpoint is an unknown quantity at this point
My Power Door Locks stopped working

I've had this '98 Civic EX 4 door for about a year, and this is the first time something has gone wrong. All of a sudden, all my power door locks don't work. I checked the under-hood fuse and found it to be OK. That fuse also controls the moon roof, which works. I don't think there's another fuse or relay.

My next stop would be the door switch (there's only one), but I'm having difficulty getting to it. I remove the single Philips screw holding the inner door handle/PDL switch in place. But the plastic insert doesn't want to come out easily. Should I just pull harder (hoping not to break it) or is there some secret to removing this? Are there little tabs holding it in? Should I be pulling on the top, the bottom, or what?

This is another one of those things that you only have to learn once. After that, it's easy. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My Power Door Locks stopped working

Just lift up on the swiveling plastic piece it should pop right off but i doubt thats your problem. years of opening and closing the door has probably opened up a hole in the wires casing causing water to drip in and screw everything up. it is very common and a fairly inexpensive fix dont go tearing your door off the problem does not reside in there
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

southpoint is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My Power Door Locks stopped working

Originally Posted by Steven21
Just lift up on the swiveling plastic piece it should pop right off but i doubt thats your problem. years of opening and closing the door has probably opened up a hole in the wires casing causing water to drip in and screw everything up. it is very common and a fairly inexpensive fix dont go tearing your door off the problem does not reside in there
Thanks. I'll check the wiring . Meanwhile, is the "swiveling plastic piece" you mention the handle lever I pull to open the door?