Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My 98 Civic EX Speedometer is wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LeTronique is an unknown quantity at this point
My 98 Civic EX Speedometer is wrong.

My car got stuck in the snow in the epic Midwestern storm earlier this week. I noticed after Erving the crap out of my car to get out of the ditch, that my speedometer was off. I'm a broke college student and I'm wondering how to fix it myself. What do I have to do? The speedometer is too fast.
Old 02-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: My 98 Civic EX Speedometer is wrong.

How exactly are you determing that the speedometer is to fast? Also so you know revving the crap out of the car especially in slippery conditions can cause severe damage to the transmission and engine, when stuck its best to go slow and rock the car to get it out of the sitauation you are in, revving the crap out of makes you lose traction and can cause a lot of damage, its not the brightest thing to do.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
How exactly are you determing that the speedometer is to fast? Also so you know revving the crap out of the car especially in slippery conditions can cause severe damage to the transmission and engine, when stuck its best to go slow and rock the car to get it out of the sitauation you are in, revving the crap out of makes you lose traction and can cause a lot of damage, its not the brightest thing to do.
Agreed. very good advice.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

as an interesting side note I discovered that my speedo is inaccurate by 12 km/h. I used my gps and a police speed board, the ones that tell you your speed, to test it, my speedo actually shows I am going 12km/h over the actual speed.
Old 02-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well, you will never get a ticket then
but your odometer will be off too? that's bad...
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

lol not to worry I did a compression test and she is at damn near peak compression with 210k on the odo or 130k miles, just finished polishing my valve cover today and cleaning up everything. The msd ign makes it sound kinda like it has a turbo which is cool I think, just need to quieten that exhaust a bit, looking for a cat to choke it up a bit.
Old 02-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

non, non, you need to discount how much the odo is off it might be still at 110k miles
Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

could it be the speed sensor is giving out more voltage than it does
water or snow probly got into it and mess it up
Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

actually when the build the car they are allowed +/- 10% error believe it or not so most speedos are not that accurate, get a gps and go at a constant speed and you will see what I mean, the reading will be different than your speedo. My 03 mazda tribute is almost bang on, my buddies 99 si is same as mine, and my work truck is off by about 4 km/h. The gps is accurate to within +/- 1 km/h.