Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 DX sedan 5spd clutch/transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toomstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 97 DX sedan 5spd clutch/transmission problem?

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I did not find it in the first 5 pages and the search thing isn't working for me and time is limited. (Which is why i'm up at 1am) I have a 1997 DX sedan 5 speed.

Well when my car is in neutral, or in any of the five gears, it sounds like the front bumper is being dragged under the car. The noise will go away when I press in the clutch pedal to shift and what not. At first I suspected it being the throwout bearing because of what my moms douchebag boyfriend told me, but that doesn't seem right because I would only hear the noise the opposite time of when I am now, right? What else could it be? I was thinking along the lines of a pilot bearing or an input shaft bearing?

I am going to work on it this weekend and I would like to get it done right the first time like anyone else. I really don't want to rebuild the entire transmission but I guess if I have no other option then what the heck. By the way i'm 16 doing this by myself with no prior experience working on cars and leftover Christmas money so any help, tips, or whatever would be awesome, thanks.
Old 01-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: 97 DX sedan 5spd clutch/transmission problem?

Transmissions are tricky, its the one thing I refuse to work on myself and I've done it all from pulling exhausts and suspensions, to rebuilding motor internals. If you dont have any experience with tranmissions or cars in general, I really suggest taking it to a shop. Although, if you can figure out exactly what is wrong with it, and research the replacement procedure- you might find its an easy fix.

This is a good thread that comes to mind, and while its for a 7th gen civic, the tranny sounds and parts are pretty similar.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...save-some.html

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-13-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toomstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 DX sedan 5spd clutch/transmission problem?

Yeah that is what I thought, thanks for that thread. I guess ill have to look into it more and see if I will be able to do this myself or not.