Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx

Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vandezand is an unknown quantity at this point
Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx

Ive got a 97 Lx and sometimes when i step on the gas the car will hesitate. It will go but you pretty much have to floor it to get it to shift. When I come to a stop, the car will idle really rough. Sometimes when you drive it it will do it and sometimes it wont. When it does hesitate the car will usually come out of it for a while and drive normal and idle like its supposed to. What could be wrong?

if it makes a difference, there is no cat. The pipe fell off about an inch or two on the front side of the cat, so no i have a straight pipe that ends under the drivers seat. could no cat be causing these symptoms?

Last edited by vandezand; 01-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

bluhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx

tps sensor, timing belt could have stretched, or you just need a tune up check those things out first
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sounds like an exhaust restriction (cat going bad). Take it to Autozone and have them scan for codes. Post the specific code here and we may be able to help.
Old 12-26-2010
Registered!!

PoorDad is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull the OBD I code out of the service plug. It's under the kick panel on the right side of the car. Inside, under the glove box. It's usually light blue

Jump the 2 wires with a paper clip and turn the key on. Read the codes. Do a google search to find out how to read and interpret the codes. It's easy.

Post the code here.

Rough idle. Hard shifting. Hesitation.

Sounds like a throttle position sensor to me. But check the codes. It's really easy to do.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PoorDad
Pull the OBD I code out of the service plug. It's under the kick panel on the right side of the car. Inside, under the glove box. It's usually light blue

Jump the 2 wires with a paper clip and turn the key on. Read the codes. Do a google search to find out how to read and interpret the codes. It's easy.

Post the code here.

Rough idle. Hard shifting. Hesitation.

Sounds like a throttle position sensor to me. But check the codes. It's really easy to do.
It's an OBDII vehicle.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

coulda sworn only ob1 cars can do that
u have a obd2 plug left side next to fuse box
go to autozone and have them check it out
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

PoorDad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lazlong
It's an OBDII vehicle.
I know that.

There's an OBD I service connector that will give you basic check engine codes if you jumper the plug as I instructed.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

i have never heard of an ob2 giving those codes only if u plug it in
Old 12-27-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I know that.

There's an OBD I service connector that will give you basic check engine codes if you jumper the plug as I instructed.
did not know there was still an OBD I connecftor in there?