Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/333988-help-finding-whats-wrong-my-97-lx.html)

vandezand 12-11-2010 11:43 PM

Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx

Ive got a 97 Lx and sometimes when i step on the gas the car will hesitate. It will go but you pretty much have to floor it to get it to shift. When I come to a stop, the car will idle really rough. Sometimes when you drive it it will do it and sometimes it wont. When it does hesitate the car will usually come out of it for a while and drive normal and idle like its supposed to. What could be wrong?

if it makes a difference, there is no cat. The pipe fell off about an inch or two on the front side of the cat, so no i have a straight pipe that ends under the drivers seat. could no cat be causing these symptoms?

bluhonda 12-12-2010 02:23 AM

Re: Help finding whats wrong with my 97 Lx

tps sensor, timing belt could have stretched, or you just need a tune up check those things out first

lazlong 12-13-2010 06:02 AM

Sounds like an exhaust restriction (cat going bad). Take it to Autozone and have them scan for codes. Post the specific code here and we may be able to help.

PoorDad 12-26-2010 10:30 PM

Pull the OBD I code out of the service plug. It's under the kick panel on the right side of the car. Inside, under the glove box. It's usually light blue

Jump the 2 wires with a paper clip and turn the key on. Read the codes. Do a google search to find out how to read and interpret the codes. It's easy.

Post the code here.

Rough idle. Hard shifting. Hesitation.

Sounds like a throttle position sensor to me. But check the codes. It's really easy to do.

lazlong 12-27-2010 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by PoorDad (Post 4508774)
Pull the OBD I code out of the service plug. It's under the kick panel on the right side of the car. Inside, under the glove box. It's usually light blue

Jump the 2 wires with a paper clip and turn the key on. Read the codes. Do a google search to find out how to read and interpret the codes. It's easy.

Post the code here.

Rough idle. Hard shifting. Hesitation.

Sounds like a throttle position sensor to me. But check the codes. It's really easy to do.

It's an OBDII vehicle.

asianboy781 12-27-2010 03:14 AM

coulda sworn only ob1 cars can do that
u have a obd2 plug left side next to fuse box
go to autozone and have them check it out

PoorDad 12-27-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by lazlong (Post 4508784)
It's an OBDII vehicle.

I know that.

There's an OBD I service connector that will give you basic check engine codes if you jumper the plug as I instructed.

asianboy781 12-27-2010 08:20 PM

i have never heard of an ob2 giving those codes only if u plug it in

sdaidoji 12-27-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PoorDad (Post 4508917)
I know that.

There's an OBD I service connector that will give you basic check engine codes if you jumper the plug as I instructed.

did not know there was still an OBD I connecftor in there?