Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Paint removal options

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doczed is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint removal options

I have just found out my little white civic HB has been painted with a 50% house paint and 50% mineral spirits. Whoever did this did a good job with a roller. I would like to remove all the paint and repaint it with car paint. I have access to a paint booth and sprayer, just would like a good way to remove this house paint. i have no idea what is under it. Door jams are still car paint so that wont be an issue. Any DIY car painters with labor free ideas would be great. I dont mind hard work, just like to minimize it if possible.

I have an appointment with the frame shop to fix the damage and core support.

Last edited by doczed; 11-07-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I am dumb
Old 11-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paint removal options

Ah, the good ol' rustoleum roller method, haven't seen that in a while

I'm not completely sure, but brakefluid, acetone and mineral spirits are all paint thinners that remove some paint, but it would be a mess...

Unless you have access to a sandblaster, i think the only suggestion i have is to sand over the paint, prime it, and just paint over it
Gonna be a LOT of sanding to get everything smoothed out
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

Will the two different types of paint cause issues if i just sand it rough and not to the metal? i hear conflicting information about that. I have a compressor and sander to speed things up and save my arm.
Old 11-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, If you want to rough sand it you can, it will just take a lot of work
You'd have to sand it smooth again, primer filler, sand it again, primer sealer, sand it, paint it

Well, you could skip primer sealer if you want, but that's for best results

i'd just high grit sand the existing paint, prime it and slap on some new paint, since i doubt you're going to drive that car for the next 10 years without it breaking down

Unless you plan for it to be a show car, then maybe it's worth the extra work
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

Not a show car. I plan to have this car for a long time. The motor is very well taken care of with no leaks or power issues. The tyranny is solid and feels good, no play in the shifter. The suspension however is another story. This poor car has been slammed around a few times and has a bent frame, broken lower motor mount, broken passenger axle, failing bearings on the driver side, shitty shocks and ball joint. Oh yea, no muffler. For having no muffler it sounds better than my friends 97 civic with a 400$ aftermarket fart amplifier. Thanks for the input, I guess in the next few months i will just sand, sand, sand, and paint it correctly. First things first, get it mechanically sound, then make it pretty.