Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Irregular downshifting...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plantman is an unknown quantity at this point
Irregular downshifting...

My son has a 2000 Civic EX with an auto tranny.

I noticed that is you are doing 60 or so and floor it to pass someone, it downshifts all the way to 2nd gear, almost redlining the engine. In fact, if you do not let off the gas the car will go into convulsions, almost as it it were protecting itself.

It has happened also at around 40, and when you floor it it will downshift into 1st gear, causing the same reaction.

It shifts fine thru all ranges and downshifts normally as long as you do not punch it.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Irregular downshifting...

um thats how an auto trans works. next time dont floor it if you dont want it to drop down that many gears.
Old 11-10-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

yea buddy thats how slushbox works...it does **** you dont want it to do
Old 11-11-2007
Registered!!

Ummm, I've never had a car that downshifts from 4th gear into 2nd at 60 miles per hour.

Can you downshift from 5th gear in a manual all the way to 2nd gear at about 75mph?

I doubt it.
Old 11-11-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Is his car a civic SI by chance?
Old 11-11-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

si dont come in auto.
Old 11-11-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plantman
Ummm, I've never had a car that downshifts from 4th gear into 2nd at 60 miles per hour.

Can you downshift from 5th gear in a manual all the way to 2nd gear at about 75mph?

I doubt it.
Dont forget that since this is a 4-speed auto, the gears are longer than those of a manual because there are less of them....
Old 11-11-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ultimatetuner10
Dont forget that since this is a 4-speed auto, the gears are longer than those of a manual because there are less of them....

I understand that, this is not my first 4 sped auto, nor my first honda.

My point is that if you are cruising along in 4th gear at about 60 mph or more, and you floor it to pass someone, it does not seem normal for an automatic to downshift to 2nd gear at that speed. It should go into 3rd and then back to forth.

I spoke with a honda tech and he told me that it sounds like possibly they have used non Honda atf, that I should drain and fill with the good stuff and change the filters. If that fails I should change a solenoid on the tranny that controls all that stuff but to try the fluid change first.

Apparently these trannies act goofy when using non Honda ATF.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007
Technical Assistant

Originally Posted by Plantman
I understand that, this is not my first 4 sped auto, nor my first honda.

My point is that if you are cruising along in 4th gear at about 60 mph or more, and you floor it to pass someone, it does not seem normal for an automatic to downshift to 2nd gear at that speed. It should go into 3rd and then back to forth.

I spoke with a honda tech and he told me that it sounds like possibly they have used non Honda atf, that I should drain and fill with the good stuff and change the filters. If that fails I should change a solenoid on the tranny that controls all that stuff but to try the fluid change first.

Apparently these trannies act goofy when using non Honda ATF.

Thanks
Ive never heard such a thing. Every auto car I have driven has acted this way, even my dads 05 corolla...it bases the downshift on throttle position, so if you floor it, and it senses that it can get into 2nd gear, even if there is only 200rpm left until it will have to go to 3rd, it will go to 2nd. Auto trannies are retarded man. You can change the fluid and filter if you think it will help, it might be a good idea to do it anyway, but your "problem" sounds perfectly normal. GL kiddo
Old 11-11-2007
Premium Member

idk, if you dont want it to downshift so many gears, just dont floor the gas, simple eh? it explains this in your owners manual too. its all controled by computer, and throttle position. and i dont see why you even find it necessary to be flooring the gas. unless you are out racing, there is more than enough power to drive at a normal speed.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

Ok, the timing was off and now it downshifts normally.

Prior to adjusting the timing, i tried it again and it would downshift to many gears causing it to redline, which is not normal in my opinion.

Now it is downshifting the way every other car I have owned has.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

D16Z6_owner is an unknown quantity at this point

adjust the tranny cable coming off the TB