I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: EBAY FOGS... need a.s.a.p... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVIC_2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: EBAY FOGS... need a.s.a.p... HELP!!!

WELL, Ive been searching around for a DIY for ebay fogs,
but most of the links provided are not working. Can some one
please help me find a link, or and article that has detailed
instruction on how to install them??? THANKS in advanced.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

Spikez1222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: EBAY FOGS... need a.s.a.p... HELP!!!

Hmmm... never really found a link, but I'm running eBay fogs with Nokyo Arctic White bulbs... looks great... it's easy, just DIY without any instructions like me~! It's hard to make eBay foglights fit flush...
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

I'm going to try to put them in tonight. I ended up
getting a DIY for the 04-05 fogs, which should be
almost the same!

IF ANYONE HAS THE DIY FOR 01-03, LET ME KNOW
Old 02-26-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Just adapt the install instructions for the OEM lights off of H&A

- View 2001-2002 4 door Installation Instructions
- View 2001-2002 2 door Installation Instructions
- View 2003 LX-EX Installation Instructions
- View 2003 DX-HX Installation Instructions

Take bumper off, dremel out holes for lights, install them with the mounting hardward provided in the ebay kit. The figure out the wire harness- one part is the ground, the other goes to a bround connector just under the passanger headlight - its probably covered in road grime so spend a few minutes looking for it. Then you need to decide how you want to wire them and do that. remove the center dash par- the one with the cig lighter part and the other side of that connector you plugged your fogs into is taped to the harness in there- its a slgihtly tricky find, but its taped there. From there you use that wire to wire it how you want. I used a seperate switch than what came with the kit because that switch doesnt fit and its garbage... autozone has them- the three pronged one - in/out/ground. Then just hook that up to an inline fuse to the fuse box. I think your set then. You can wire it several different ways. This will be kind of tough for you if you've never stripper a wire and dont understand the concept of grounding... if you've done wire work before you can make it through the install. Having a friend help is always a plug. Dont forget the six pack.

Last edited by TRIZ; 02-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

THANKS Triz! but wont i run in to some problems with the wiring since OEM are different than ebays fogs?
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough

what part of the valley you from???
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kuNhoHan
what part of the valley you from???
ARLETA/PACOIMA AREA.... where you located???

Last edited by CIVIC_2001; 02-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2008
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

the wiring harness is probably not going to line up so you might have to find a way to power them yourself. i wired mine to my 12v accessory outlet.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

Bb0iPn0y is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2058317

im proj3xt01v1c on honda-tech.com
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

Here is the simplest way to wire them. You can just throw away the wiring harness that came with them if you'd like...That's what I did.

Connect the two positive terminals of the fog lights together and attach a wire to them that will go into the car (I routed the wire over my passenger tire and in through a rubber grommet). Next attach a wire to the positive terminal of your battery and wire in line with a 30Amp fuse (Amperage value may be different depending on how much current you draw.)
Amps = Watts/Volts
I chose 30 just because it's a common fuse even though it's overkill. You may also choose to use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse so that you can just reset it instead of buying another fuse. (you can get them at autozone or a hardware store.)

Wire both of these +12v wires to the corresponding terminals of your relay. It will be something like +12v supply and +12v output.
A small explanation of a relay: The reason for a relay is that most simple switches aren't capable of handling high current loads; A relay is. It is a double switch that, when turned on, closes the gate and allows high current power to flow from the source terminal the output terminal.

Next you will need to ground your relay and connect a wire that will supply the low current voltage to turn the relay on and off. You may choose to have this on/off wire connected to your headlights/parking lights, in which case just splice into the corresponding wire under the dash, or you may choose to have a switch so you can have your fogs on whenever you like (no headlights, low beams, high beams.)

If you choose to wire to a switch there are two options. You can either have the switch wired directly to the battery, in which case you'll need another wire to run to the engine bay, or you can splice into a wire that is only hot (carrying a voltage) when the car is on. I recommend the latter so you don't accidentally leave your fog lights on when the car is off and drain your battery.

As far as wiring the switch, simply connect two adjacent terminals (if the switch has terminals like the one below.) In the picture below the top wire doesn't actually need to be connected to anything. This switch works by connecting the bottom two pins together in one toggle mode, and in the other mode it conects the top 2 pins. So the pin that isn't going directly into the relay needs to either be wired to the battery or to a wire that is only hot when the car is on, as mentioned above. This supply voltage doesn't necessarily have to be +5V. It just needs to be what your relay is rated for. If you buy one at radioshack or some such store, there will be a wiring diagram on the back that will tell you.

After this is all done, you should be able to fire those puppies up! Good Luck!

Last edited by Lord ET; 02-27-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for the info LORD ET. My friend and I just custom wired it directly to the battery. The harness they provide, doent even make any sense. I wired them to the 12v outlet as well.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

good to hear you got it figured out!
Old 02-27-2008
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about

hey sorry my pictures are sooo large to send through email. but u can use the switch they provided instead of mkaing ur own switch
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

^^^
Yeah, you can use the switch they provided. Just make sure you have a relay because most switches aren't capable of handling the power that fog lights require.

On another note the program I use to quickly resize pictures is Irfanview. www.irfanview.com

It's as simple as oping the picture in the program --> edit-->resize/resample-->choose resolution--> save
Old 02-27-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Is this them? They're $80 on Ebay, is that what they usually go for? Maybe I'll get some too.

Old 02-27-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CIVIC_2001
Thanks for the info LORD ET. My friend and I just custom wired it directly to the battery. The harness they provide, doent even make any sense. I wired them to the 12v outlet as well.
That means they're always on.....why not wire them to a switch?
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

^^
I got mine for $20
http://search.stores.ebay.com/MotorB...agenameZRC0022
Old 02-27-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by Lord ET
They're still $47 shipped, not $20. And you have to replace the blue bulbs with white/yellow.

Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

^^
sorry I posted the wrong link... Here are the ones I bought. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180183988492
Old 02-27-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

you mentioned wiring the switch by looping two pins and doing nothing with the other pin? or did i read it wrong? how does it connect to the relay?
does this work as well?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...tch-relay.html

/End Threadjack

Last edited by Envy; 02-27-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Envy
you mentioned wiring the switch by looping two pins and doing nothing with the other pin? or did i read it wrong? how does it connect to the relay?
does this work as well?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...tch-relay.html

/End Threadjack
I'm not sure I entirely understand that drawing, but what i was saying was connect one wire to the relay for the on/off voltage in (with low current) and the other side to a pin on the switch. Connect one end of another wire to a +12v source and the other end to the adjacent pin on the switch. The third pin on the switch needs to have nothing soldered to it so that the switch has an actual on/off function.

Look at the lower left hand corner of the drawing. That's what I'm talking about. When the switch is 'thrown' in one direction the slider inside makes contact with 2 of the three pins. Either the middle and left, or middle and right. One of the outside pins needs to not be connected so that when the slider is contacting that pin and the middle pin there will be no voltage passing through.
Old 02-27-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

^^
sorry I posted the wrong link... Here are the ones I bought. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180183988492
Still $37 shipped. I think I'll get a set though, thanks. But Ontario, California.......I hate it when they do that.....
Old 02-27-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

thank you! +1 for you!
Old 02-27-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Are you guys talking about this switch being bad? I like it, it's like the OEM switch.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

If i could connect it to turn on with the head lights... because i used a relay for my headlights and i still have one plug coming from the car that isnt used would the relay connect with that so i dont have to worry about a siwtch and jus do the postive and ground wire?
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

honestly you should just be able to splice the low current +V wire from the relay onto the headlight +V wire.

^^ Dex, when I got that switch, it didn't work where I needed it to go. It was meant for the middle console but I've already got 2 switches there. I don't however have a moonroof so I wanted the switch to go there.
Old 02-28-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

^^ Dex, when I got that switch, it didn't work where I needed it to go. It was meant for the middle console but I've already got 2 switches there. I don't however have a moonroof so I wanted the switch to go there.
Will it fit here?

Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

^^ No, that's where I placed my switch. I had to drill a hole in one of those placeholders and stick the switch in there.
Old 02-28-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

So if not here then where's the switch mean to go? The placeholders over the cupholders are the same size.
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

In my car, the ones over the cupholders are larger...I'm not sure why, but they were. The switch would fit there, but not to the left of the wheel. ??

Quick Reply: DIY: EBAY FOGS... need a.s.a.p... HELP!!!