I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alternator/Battery/Gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manitoufs is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator/Battery/Gauge issues

Greetings -
I have an 01 EX coupe with 112,000 miles. Here are the symptoms:

1. While driving, instrument panel and radio will cease operation.
2. After varying amounts of time (10 seconds to a few minutes) they will begin operating again. The ABS light sometimes comes on.
3. Aux power source (lighter) will sometimes remain operating.
4. Sometimes the fan will slow down or stop running.
5. Engine operation never seems to be an issue - just the devices specified.
6. Once (today) the car would not turn over. Got it started with a jump and made it home.

Once home, I checked alternator output and the battery.
1. Voltage at the battery with the engine running was 13.7 (cooling fan off) and 13.3 (fan on).
2. The battery is of an unknown age (the date punches on it are all intact). I have had the car for 4 years. (I know - the battery is certain to be ready for a replacement.)
3. Specific gravity floats 2 ***** in all 6 cells.
4. I currently have it charging at 12 amps.

My initial feeling was the alternator but I do not have any dash indication of a failure.
Would a bad battery alone cause these problems?
Is there a possible transiant problem with the alternator?
Anything else that might be causing this?

Thanx

Last edited by manitoufs; 09-08-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator/Battery/Gauge issues

if it's the alternator, the ccar would be dead when you goto crank it.. so something looose>?
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

Nothing appears to be loose. When the engine is running, (during my test today) I am getting good voltage to the battery. When the problem occurs, engine RPM has no effect on the symptoms.

To me, this is a real head scratcher. I hope someone with more experience with these cars has an idea.
Old 09-08-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

possibly the battery.. or some fuses.. umm... voltage is good.. so i dont know.. are your grounds upgraded...
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

I am not familiar with "upgrade grounds".

Wassup wit dat?
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

make sure all the grounds are secure and the clamps on the battery terminals. they need to be tight. otherwise try a new battery. if alternator goes, the batt light will come on. seems like maybe the battery is weak and the alt is putting extra energy just to keep the car going.
Old 09-08-2007
The World Is Yours!

look for upgrading the BIG 3, and check battery
Old 09-08-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

i say alternator, it should be putting out 14-14.4 volts when running, not 13.3, ur pulling low voltage, take it off, take it to oriely and have it tested on their diagnostics
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think alot of place can test alternator on the car, but idk ive gone through 4 alternators on my old car and they would either work or die.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i think alot of place can test alternator on the car, but idk ive gone through 4 alternators on my old car and they would either work or die.
That's been my experience also. Gonna check all the grounds, have the battery and alternator load checked and change it if necessary.

Thanx for the input. It's been very helpful.
Old 09-08-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Same thing happened to me.. its the Alt.
Old 09-10-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

check all your grounds and battery connections for corrosion too.
Old 09-13-2007
Registered!!

The verdict is in - Voltage regulator.

Final cost - $130 installed, not by me but by Fast Eddy's in Andrews, NC. I used Eddy in the past to build a HO alternator for my Typhoon. A rare combination of a smart and honest repair shop.