I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
DIY: Relay wiring

So I haven't seen this on here anywhere yet. Relays are great resources in 12v wiring. Although they might seem complicated at first, they are very simple once you get acquainted with them. Some people, including myself, might shy away from them at first as they seem too complicated, but the purpose of this little DIY is to show you that they aren't.

First of all, what is a relay? There are many kinds, the variety most often used in car audio is the SPDT (single pole, dual throw) type. This means they have a single source (the pole) and two outputs (the throws) that are either open or closed based on whether or not the relay is energized or not.

The most common style is known as the Bosch style, pictured below. There are five terminals, all serving different, but different functions. The terminals are as follows (for the example, I will be assuming you are tapping off an accessory power wire)

30 - The terminal for the power source to be switched. This would usually be a power wire coming from your battery.

85 - The input for your switching source. You would normally tap an accessory or ignition wire and connect it here. This is what will trigger the relay into opening or closing pins 87 and 87a. This is where the accessory power wire that you tapped into would connect to.

86 - Ground. Relay coils do not have polarity, therefore pins 85 and 86 can be hooked up either way (either one could be power or ground). I use 86 for ground, for no particular reason.

87 - Normally open terminal. When the coil is not energized (key is out of the ignition, accessory wire isn't live), no current will flow through this terminal. When you turn the key on (accessory wire becomes live), the coil will energized and terminal 87 will become live. If you for example, wanted a power inverter to turn on when you turn the key, you would turn the key to acc and the coil would energize, turning the inverter on.

87a - Normally closed terminal. When the coil is not energized, this terminal will have power.

So, between 87 and 87a, only one can have power at a time. Think of the coil as being able to route the power between the two terminals.

EXAMPLE: Say I wanted to wire up some neon lights in my trunk so that they come on whenever my amps are turned on. I don't want to wire them right to the remote line, I want them to get power directly from a distro block mounted in my trunk.

I would tap the remote wire going to the amplifier and connect it to terminal 85 on the relay. Terminal 86 would go ground. I would run a wire from the distro block to terminal 30. Finally, the neon lights would be connected to terminal 86. Simple as that, the neon lights will turn on with the amplifiers.

I guess this was a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but hopefully it's simple enough for a beginner to understand, I've explained everything with as little writing as possible, but with enough for you to get a good idea how everything works.

If there's any other questions or comments, post em in the thread .

And for further reference, a drawing of what the pinout on the bottom of a Bosch relay looks like.

Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good to me, reversed pin 30 and 87 but no biggie
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
sweeet, i feel smarter
Old 01-18-2006
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I always use 30 pin as my power source. reason being is that if I DID want to use both 87a and 87, then it would need to be on pin 30, so I do it that way anyway

but other than that, of course it can be reversed
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

i totally agree with you on using pin 30 for the power source. I was talking about your illustration. You know, just being a nitpicker
Old 01-19-2006
Banned

you mean the way i drew the pin orientation?
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Best simple explanation I have seen - and right in time for my needs. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

jamie_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
iv got ground at 85 and switch at 86. i think those are interchangable too.
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
Good writeup. As he mentioned too, relays can be used for all sorts of things, especially when you get into alarms and such. One of the best 12v pieces to play with. Ohh so many possibilities.
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
you mean the way i drew the pin orientation?
yup, like i said, nitpicking
Old 01-19-2006
Banned

you're nuts man, i swear thats how the pins are
Old 01-19-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999403.pdf
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
you're nuts man, i swear thats how the pins are
maybe up in good ol canada, eh?
Old 01-19-2006
Banned

everything is backwards in canadaland

what do pins on your relays look like?
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

85 in the middle on the left, 86 middle on the right
87a dead center, 87 above 87a and then 30 on the bottom
Old 01-20-2006
Banned

you son of a bitch you ARE picky!
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

you thought i was kidding too
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
Wow, that doesnt really matter does it? Give it a break, he did a great writeup
Old 01-20-2006
Banned

yeah man give me a break, i tried my best!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

o i gave him a break, gotta keep those crazy canuks in check.
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i'm from canada too, and just checked my relays, they are the same way megahurtz drew them.
Old 01-20-2006
Banned

canada 2
USA 1

Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

edit: you win this time
pin 86 is on the left and pin 85s on the right. You would think the lower number pin would be before the higher number one.
Old 01-20-2006
Banned

hahaha, and i'm picky enough to fix it

but not now, tired.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

hey, have been wondering if any of you know if you can use the relays to switch residential (120 Volts). I would still use 12 volts for the relay coil, but would put a 120 volts line to pin 30, 87a & 87? cause i know the coil needs to be 12 volts, but the switch (30, 87a & 87) is not connected to the coil. The only problem i see is the AC line will interfere with the coils magnetic action of pulling the switch. anybody here tried it or knows if it is possible. if it is possible, endless possibilitys for the house too. I know they sell relays for house that run off 24 volt AC, but looked everywhere on net and can't find any
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

Aside from the ability to allow a relatively small electric signal to switch a relatively large electric signal, relays also offer electrical isolation between coil and contact circuits. This means that the coil circuit and contact circuit(s) are electrically insulated from one another. One circuit may be DC and the other AC (such as in the example circuit shown earlier), and/or they may be at completely different voltage levels, across the connections or from connections to ground.

(from http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_5/1.html)

seems like it could work. Worst comes to worse you blow a few fuses and trip a circuit breaker.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

thanks, was wondering for awhile
Old 03-03-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Please explain to this newb what this is and what does it do?
Old 03-03-2006
Banned

To put it in simple kinda terms, a relay is an switch that is triggered electronically. There are 5 pins, the trigger (85), which can be something like an accessory wire or any other non-constant wire, ground (86), the input (30), the normally closed (NC) output (87a) and the normally open (NO) output (87). When there is no voltage in the input, there is continuity between pins 30 and 87a. When there is voltage, there is continuity between 30 and 87. It lets current flow based on an electronic event, which would be the trigger wire becoming live. They could be used for example to power neon lights in your trunk. If you wanted the lights to come on with your amp, you could run the remote line from your amp into pin 85, ground pin 86, put a small power wire coming from your amp on pin 87, and have pin 87a going out to your lights. Turn the amps on, relay coil becomes energized, and the lights turn on.

In that application, I'm just referring to a basic single pole, dual throw (SPDT) relay, which are the most common, but there are a million other types as well, but not to confuse you.