I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Other way of Powering a PS2 without and DC/AC converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dainfamous is an unknown quantity at this point
Other way of Powering a PS2 without and DC/AC converter

i would like to know if there is any other way to power a PS2 without and power converter? can i strip the wire and power it up 2 my amp or sumthing? if i can, can sum1 show me how to power it..thanks..if anything IM me on WOWITZTAI
Old 06-24-2003
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
nope, gotta use a convertor. hardwire the convertor, put a switch on the power line, and keep all the wires away from the RCAs to your amp, that's all I can tell ya.
Old 06-24-2003
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by evilone
nope, gotta use a convertor. hardwire the convertor, put a switch on the power line, and keep all the wires away from the RCAs to your amp, that's all I can tell ya.
exactly what i did!
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

but everytime i put the converter in my screen gets all mess up and there is alot of satic cummin frum my speakers..wat can i do about that? move the converter farther..but one thing is that my wire for the converter are short..
Old 06-25-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
thats where you guys are wrong
ive been lookin to formulate a way around that. if you open up the ps2, the first board inside it converts the power from 120V AC to 12V DC, heres the problem. cars dont run at exactly 12, they run at 12.6-12.9 off, and 13 - 14.4 while on. a circuit board with those tolerances wont quite do well with voltage surges. there is a way to regulate the voltage, but it would require you making your own circuit board with zener diodes. i have the basic plans for it somewhere, let me know if anyone is interested at all. dont know what the cost would really be, but it would probably be a slightly more efficient way of doing it.
Old 06-25-2003

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by LudlamTheory
thats where you guys are wrong
ive been lookin to formulate a way around that. if you open up the ps2, the first board inside it converts the power from 120V AC to 12V DC, heres the problem. cars dont run at exactly 12, they run at 12.6-12.9 off, and 13 - 14.4 while on. a circuit board with those tolerances wont quite do well with voltage surges. there is a way to regulate the voltage, but it would require you making your own circuit board with zener diodes. i have the basic plans for it somewhere, let me know if anyone is interested at all. dont know what the cost would really be, but it would probably be a slightly more efficient way of doing it.
But how many people have opened up a ps2? I guess that's why you're GOD....and yeah, if you can find the plans, scan 'em for us!
Old 06-25-2003

Originally posted by Dainfamous
but everytime i put the converter in my screen gets all mess up and there is alot of satic cummin frum my speakers..wat can i do about that? move the converter farther..but one thing is that my wire for the converter are short..
I'm guessing that you're using the cigarette lighter adapter, right? chop off the plug, run wires to the engine bay, then solder and heat-shrink the wires, and make sure you put a switch on the power wire, otherwise it'll stay on, and the battery will be dead by tomorrow. Most people pretty much go with the idea to run power wires down the left side of the car and RCAs on the right, try that, it should help.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

i dont kno shiet about soldering and shrinkin wires..haha u got me there..itz confusin to me if u ask..hahaha..any directions or a place to do it..?
Old 06-25-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
thats why i didnt put up the plans for the zener diodes and such. if you dont know anything bout soldering or shrinking wires, just go to a shop, and have them do it.