I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

amp power wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicFerio is an unknown quantity at this point
amp power wire

here goes.. when you wire your amp directly to your battery this mean it's always "on right? i just bought an amp wiring kit.. and i was just thinking.. when i turn the engine off and switch the lights on it still works... yeah that's no problem.. but there is no switch for my amp.. what did you guys do about this.. i'm sorry if this is a repeat question i tried to search but i couldn't find anything
Old 03-11-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Connected to the amp is also a turn on lead. it connects to the Headunit.. when the headunit powers up, it sends voltage to the amplifier through a smaller wire, usually a blue turn on lead and that signal turns on the amplifier.
Old 03-11-2003
Registered!!

DizWikedCivic is on a distinguished road
well yes if you a wire straight thru the battery it always going to be on, but there a remote turn on wire for the amp, it seem like your remote turn on wire is on a constant 12v, make sure the remote wire is on the right wire, usually the wire is blue/white on your deck. or u can just add a toggle switch on the remote wire, u can turn on and off any time u want with a switch
Old 03-11-2003
Registered!!

so that's what the blue wire in my kit is for!!

another question... where do i connect this wire to the hu? i didn't quite get it.. do i connect it to the harness? which part... thanks again!
Old 03-11-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
There should be a wire for it to connect to on teh harness, probably labels "Remote" somethign or another, Also, you can connect it to any other line that powers up when you turn teh car on, like the "ACC" wire, or even the cigarette lighter wire.
Old 03-11-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
how small can this wire be? i used an 18 gauge wire and am not sure if it's thick enough...
Old 03-12-2003
Registered!!

ok.. thanks.. can i still use my cigarette lighter if i connect it there? if so how do i do this...
Old 03-12-2003

alex053 will become famous soon enough
If you have an aftermarket head unit there will be a blue wire marked "amp turn on" or something similar. dont use the "power ant" wire unless it is the only one there. If its a true power ant output it will turn off when you put a cd in and your amp will turn off also. so check it with a test light or voltmeter. if you hace a factory deck what you need is a test light to find what wire in the harness is your 12 volt switched. clip the ground clip to a good ground and with the key in the ON position touch the harness pins..two will light up. remember thise two. now turn the key off. go back to those two wire and only one should light up...the one that does is your constant power. It holds memory to your deck so your presets dont go away when you turn the car off. the other is your 12 volt accessory. this tells your radio to turn on only when the key is on. test they by leaving the test light on that pin and turning the key back on....ohhhhhhhhh...light show..the light will go on and off with the key...use a t-tap or butt connector or bell cap or cut and solder into that wire with your remote wire. 18 guage will be fine..there is only about a half an amp going down this wire. also refer to this chart i dont know if what they list is in the deck harness or not...it might not be because its alarm wiring.....i will check tomorrow on my wifes car since this wire color has been in question quite a few times.