I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

head unit glare

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rino is an unknown quantity at this point
head unit glare

ok I have an alpine 7893 and it is mounted in the factory hole, during the day I cant see anything because the glare but at night I can see slightly. I was wondering if any of you have moved the headunit to another spot and have had good results. I want to move it to somewhere else in my dash that wont get glare but still looks good. Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-15-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
many have moved their radios to many unique and interesting locations, as many many many have had the exact same problem as you [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

heres idea #1 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-15-2003
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 7893 and i can see it just fine, day or night. All i did was adjust the mounting angle a little bit. I have an iso mount dash kit and i just drilled new holes so i could raise the back of the radio so the face would be at a more viewable angle.
Old 01-15-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
ummm tint lol its that easy
Old 01-15-2003
Registered!!

I have tint, but it shines in from the front window. The head unit is actually tilted pretty far back anyways, I think I might try to tilt it forward. Oh well I will try to think of something.
Old 01-15-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

if your going to mount it in the middle at least have it facing the right way unlike the one in the pic, unless its a right hand drive
Old 01-15-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: sadboy916
if your going to mount it in the middle at least have it facing the right way unlike the one in the pic, unless its a right hand drive[hr]
he has his reasons for mounting it like that
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
sadboy, we been through this. you should keep yoru mouth shut i fyou are just going to be disrespectful like this.
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I spent a couple hours tilting the rear of my HU upwards last night. Drilled holes and mounted her and thought everything was going to be dandy. F-in ish it sure as hay wasn't! I couldn't get the darn thing to mount back into the dash properly. It stuck out about an inch...the back of the hu was being hindered by that muthaf-in pipe that runs just under the air vents.....ish I was pissed...Now, I know why honda has it angled up like that, the rear of the hu goes underneath that pipe...I am still red w/fury....and no laughing at me either... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

mbow, wanna be the first to do something neat? put yoru radio in the macp pocket in teh door. not as hard as you think! tho good luck getting more than one set of rca cables through that door grommet....

pocket itself just unclips, you could bag the radio so it doesnt get wet, build a plate for the pocket top, then mount it directly to teh door! only a minimum of dremel work....

but seriously, i only know 2 ppl that have stuff there, and NEVER a cd player....... could be neat!
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

You would have to look down and take your eyes off the road to see it though...I would like to try moving it to the 12v outlet panel. I checked that out for fitment as well. That would require some cutting of the metal to though...I don't know...I'm not going to mess with it for a while..I spent a couple hours pulling hte whole thing out, removing all the wires, drilling, centering, only to return the darn thing to the exact way it was before I started...I am still too frustrated to even think about messing with it again...I just might cut some of that damn metal tube away.

Probably get killed in an accident because I screwed with it though...I am thinking that tube is pretty important...
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

i dont need to look at my radio [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

It's easier to put cds in when you can see the thang...it's also easier to adjust bass, treble, menu functions, etc., when you can see the display...I tend to adjust things according to the song I am listening to.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Oh, it's also nice to see the mp3 tag when looking for songs on a cd that has 100+ songs that you are unfamiliar with....I guess if you have a $50 cd player with 2 functions visibility wouldn't be necessary
Old 01-16-2003
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought for a second that i might have raised the rear too far, but i managed to get it in there, just barely though. I think it just about touches that tube in the back. As for mounting it where the 12v plug is, i was going to do that, i even cut the metal bracing out, but i still needed about an inch and a half more clearance, which i realized should only really come from the front, because if i hacked into the ducting behind it, the trim would still look like crap because the area you need for the faceplate is bigger then the flat area where the plug is on a 2k1. did that make sense? as for cutting out that bar, i dont think i would cut the whole thing out, but a notch for clearance i dont think would hurt. if you felt too scared about it, get someone to cap off the notch with some flat stock and a welder.
Old 01-17-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRabbit
sadboy, we been through this. you should keep yoru mouth shut i fyou are just going to be disrespectful like this.[hr]
how was i being disrespectful lol your funny man , im sure you know a bit of car audio but stop acting like your a mod , if you have a problem on some of my opinions about some car audio DEAL WITH IT.
Old 01-17-2003
Registered!!

how was i being disrespectful lol your funny man , im sure you know a bit of car audio but stop acting like your a mod , if you have a problem on some of my opinions about some car audio DEAL WITH IT.[hr]
if your going to mount it in the middle at least have it facing the right way unlike the one in the pic, unless its a right hand drive[hr]
posting asking why its facing the way it is is one thing, but dont you think that i would have considered which way it faces during design? dont you think that there are many many small details that all have to be sorted out when something like this is built? rather than say "at least face it the right direction" maybe you should have thought "hmm, its facing the wrong direction, i wonder if theres a reason? ill ask." or you wont. I'm not posting on this forum to hear poop from you every single thread.

To answer the question you never asked, my pioneer is very clear when viewed at an angle from above the unit. its invisible when viewed form the bottom. i sit above the unit now, and get a perfectly clear view of the face. the mind corrects for the upside down numbers. and thats why it "at least" shouldnt be facing the way one might think it should face. form follows function. i suppose politeness isnt the same way, huh.

Old 01-18-2003
Registered!!

so far I have gotten a couple of answers and a whole lot of arguing. If yall are going to argue start a new thread.
Old 01-18-2003
Registered!!

It's pretty easy to tilt up the rear of the hu. The problem is clearance for the rear of the hu was it is raised. The metal tube underneath the vents will need to be cut a little to make it fit. I may just cut of that tube in the future but I don't have anytime to play right now.