I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Remote Car Starters that keep the doors locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remote Car Starters that keep the doors locked

Hi have a 2002 sedan. Its damn cold up here in Canada between the months of Nov-Mar, so I am looking to the purchase of a remote car starter. As it it right now, if I start the car and leave it I cannot lock the door, security feature I guess. If I get a remote car starter, will it override this secuirty feature and start the car and keep the doors locked?
Old 11-22-2002
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
I think they all keep your doors locked, until you unlock it with the key fob thingy. I had a remote start on my old car, I have yet to buy one for the Civ, and it automatically locked the doors once the car was started with the remote. I think they are all required to have it, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

BIANCA is an unknown quantity at this point
it depends on if you get just a remote start, or if youget a remote start w/ an alarm.

if you get a remote start with your alarm if you remote start the car while its armed, the doors stay locked, if you remote start it when its disarmed the locks wont lock, some alarms you can program to lock the doors when it remote starts but ive always found that to be annoying.

Also, it doesnt matter if your car is locked or unlocked really. With remote start there is no key in the ignition so the steering wheel will still lock, even then, when someone puts their foot on the break, if there is no key in the ignition your engine will just die anyways so they cant just drive off since they cant even get the car in gear. Its not like its going to make it any easier to steal your car.
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The only reason a remote car starter would unlock the doors is if you have a factory alarm, and even then it shouldn't unlock the doors because to unlock would require a double pulse. Most good car starters will also have a rearm wire tho so it will rearm any factory security once the car is started. If your looking for a really good remote car starter up there check around for a Brand called Direktstart. I have been installing them for the past 3 years and they are a very solid car starter. The range is incredible and they work great here in Upstate NY even when it gets extremly cold. They are made in Canada and the owner of the company says he has alot of dealers up there so you should be able to find one pretty easy. Oh and the carbonfiber remotes are pretty hot too.

Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

DBDIJON is an unknown quantity at this point
I`m not here to say any starter is better than any other. I have been an installer for many years now and I know which ones I like. Any starter will allow you to lock or unlock your doors regardless of the position of your ignition key. The reason for this is because you are dirrectly triggering the door lock wires after the cars computer. If you tap in before the computer then it would work the same as the factory remotes (no function with ignition on).

It does not matter if you have an alarm installed on not.