I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

suggestion on wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dimplebutt is an unknown quantity at this point
suggestion on wires

this the set up i want to do. i want to get some DEI componet speakers in my front powered by MTX8302 then i want to add a 12" sub in the trunk powered by another amp. (i haven't fully decided on which ones yet) most likely something around 400-500 watt rms and i'm going to ditch the rear speakers. but my question is on the wires. will 4 gauge to a distribution block then to a 8 gauge to the amps be thick enough? do i need to get a thicker gauge and. when it comes to amp kits' what's good and what's bad?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] help much appreciated
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
depends on the amp really. for your comps, 8 gauge will be fine. for subs, 8 gauge will probably be fine. if you get a mono amp, for sure. and honestly, you'll get enough juice with 8 gauge for your subs too. keep the wire short, connections good, you'll be fine. most people overdo wiring, which isn't bad, but if you know what you want why bother? buy big wires if you think you might want more sound later. or crap, run each sub off of it's own amp w/ 8 gauge input.
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
4 ga power lead with 8 ga from a block should do the trick.
Old 11-22-2002
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Im new to wiring and such, what is a Distribution Block?Im guessing its to power various aftermarket accessories like foglights, neons, amps etc? instead of plugging it all to the positive terminal of the battery? correct me if im wrong.. which i think i am [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would definatly run 4 guage with a d-block. If you wanna stay with MTX get one of the mono block amps either a 4250D or 6500D for silly power. As far as amp kits are concerned there really is no really bad amp kit on the market. Most of the big names like Monster Cable, Stinger, Phoenix Gold, and Scoche are all about the same. I would just stay away from the Roadgear stuff that you would find at Walmart or Sears. They say its 4 guage but the wires insulation is thicker then the actual copper stands.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: custom2k1
I would definatly run 4 guage with a d-block. If you wanna stay with MTX get one of the mono block amps either a 4250D or 6500D for silly power. As far as amp kits are concerned there really is no really bad amp kit on the market. Most of the big names like Monster Cable, Stinger, Phoenix Gold, and Scoche are all about the same. I would just stay away from the Roadgear stuff that you would find at Walmart or Sears. They say its 4 guage but the wires insulation is thicker then the actual copper stands.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
alright cool thanks that's what i was thinking about doing too.. Now would i be using a mono amp for a sub? what's the difference about a mono and stereo amp. oh and i know that i should run new speaker wire if i amp the components and well. do i need to run the speaker wire to the crossover and then the 7" speaker and then the tweeter? serperately or can i run one wire and then split it? basicly do i need a 2 channel or a 4 channel for componets sorry for all the questions. i just really want to learn how to do it right
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
[hr]Im new to wiring and such, what is a Distribution Block?[hr]
a dist. block is where you can hook one fat wire (4gauge) and split it into many wires (say 4 or 2 wires) that are smaller. so one wire from the battery can power 2 amps, a capacitor, and neons, or whatever you have planned for it.

[hr]Now would i be using a mono amp for a sub? [hr]
yes. do you have to? no. see below...

[hr]what's the difference about a mono and stereo amp[hr]
mono use class D circuits, which are more power efficient. basically, since subs take so much juice, using one of these will be less drain on the alternator, thus sorta reduciing the headlight dimming at big bass hits. you can however bridge a stereo amp to get big power numbers if you don't want to shell out the $ for a mono amp (see another thread on bridging, pretty easy if you don't know).

[hr]oh and i know that i should run new speaker wire if i amp the components and well. do i need to run the speaker wire to the crossover and then the 7" speaker and then the tweeter? serperately or can i run one wire and then split it? basicly do i need a 2 channel or a 4 channel for componets [hr]
run 14 or 12 gauge wire for these. the crossover seperates frequencys, sends highs to the tweets, lows to the woofs. there are 2 inputs (+ and -) and 4 outputs (+ and - each for tweet and woof) and then one of these for each channel (L and R). pretty easy. so you can run one wire to the crossover, which then splits it. as for amp? if you want to amp the back speakers, get a 4 channel, if you're cool w/ the front speakers or the rears are factory, don't bother and get a 2 channel.
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

You the man.