I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Broken radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
artyb1390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken radio

Hello all,
not sure if I should post here or in I.C.E. & Electrica, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

My radio stopped working and not sure how to diagnose the problem.
I have a Honda civic dx 2002, stock radio.
About a week ago it started to randomly turn on and off, and this week does not turn on at all or do anything (no sound or light on the digital display). All the buttons still light up. They only thing I did to try and fix this was 1. check the fuses both under the hood and under the dash (all seemed to work, used a multimeter to test for continuity) and 2. look at the battery to make sure the connections were good.

I did have my battery die on my a month ago and saw that it might be the anti-theft protection, but no "code" is displayed.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Broken radio

What brand is it? Do you have a manual you can use to troubleshoot it? The screen is completely blank?
Old 05-09-2014
Registered!!

Brand of the radio? I would need to look then, did not know the stock radios had a brand. I'll also see if there are any model numbers.

I have the manual the car came with, but did not find anything useful in it. (I bought he car new, have all the paper work)

Yes, completely blank. Not even a back-light on the display it self (Used to display the station and clock). The numbers, *****, AM/FM, ... and all the rest still light up.
Old 05-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

The reason I ask is because I got my car used 6 years ago and I'm pretty sure it has an aftermarket that came with a manual. So you've tried fiddling with the controls, pulling the faceplate out and putting it in (if you can do that)? You could always pull the thing out and check for loose wires...
Old 05-09-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 306 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would pull the radio out and see what you can find.
Old 05-09-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,209 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

surely does not seem like anti-theft.
something is "broken", yes...

i will move to electrical forums, though, more specialized to this there.
Old 05-09-2014
Registered!!

Well that's a project for next weekend. Thanks for all the help!