I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Gauges not working, '01 EX 2dr, please help....

Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CFDBattChief is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Gauges not working, '01 EX 2dr, please help....

My son has a 2001 EX 2dr 5-speed, and none of the gauges on the instrument cluster are working. I have pulled it out, checked the connections, the PCB doesn't seem to be fried anywhere, and all fuses are good. The odometer does not display, either. All of the idiot lights work. It just seems that the gauges have no power.
Have priced online a new one, around $250. Plus, around $99 to get the odo to match the old one.
The one place I had hopes of being able to repair it, now says that they cannot repair it.
Have looked online and called places locally, and so far no one has a used one for this particular model.
I am looking for some advice or suggestions on how to get it repaired or replaced. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

CFDBattChief
Old 09-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gauges not working, '01 EX 2dr, please help....

If you have all of the lights but no gauge action, it's probably going to need a cluster.

www.car-part.com

There are other options, like do a swap from a different Civic. More work is involved if you go past certain years. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...faq-video.html
Old 09-18-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

• Yeah, I wish I had a latter instrument cluster. It seems like it's much easier to read.
Old 09-18-2013
Registered!!

Ok, ezone and Matt_75, thank you. When I have checked on a used one, the things that seemed to be important was:
Year, model, body style, transmission type, and whether or not it had side impact air bags. As far as further searching for a used one, can someone tell me if in fact all of these characteristics matter? Some are obvious, like the transmission type (tach or not), but the others are questionable. In other words, if my son's is an '01 2dr EX 5-spd w/o air bags, is it important that I find one that matches these criteria?

CFDBattChief
Old 09-18-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really answer for certain, I deal with strictly original stuff at work.

Read through the thread dealing with the swaps.

I pretty dang sure that if the car has side airbags and OPDS in the passenger seat, you need the "side airbag off" light in the cluster or else there may be SRS codes set if that light is missing.

But if the car does not have those side airbags......the SABoff light may still come on...? Dangit. I can't remember.

Um, I think for a long time we had a brand new cluster that we couldn't send back because someone picked the wrong choice (out of maybe 23 possible choices) and one of these scenarios came up.

I think you can put a manual cluster in an automatic car, you just won't have the PRNDL lights.

The rest of the stuff, I really don't even want to guess.
Old 09-18-2013

Try resoldering all the pin terminals on the board where the wire harnesses connect to the cluster?
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

lito99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can vouch that ABS and side srs matters, If you have side srs then preferably find a cluster with it. If you get a cluster without tht light youll be ok, you just wont have that particular light but it will still function. All EX models have ABS so you"ll be looking for that too, but again it will work even if the cluster has no ABS light. I replaced my cluster with one that has no ABS and works fine.

Can you figure out if yours has side srs?
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lito99
I can vouch that ABS and side srs matters, If you have side srs then preferably find a cluster with it. If you get a cluster without tht light youll be ok, you just wont have that particular light but it will still function. All EX models have ABS so you"ll be looking for that too, but again it will work even if the cluster has no ABS light. I replaced my cluster with one that has no ABS and works fine.

Can you figure out if yours has side srs?
The car does have SRS in the steering wheel, but apparently what matters as far as a gauge cluster is if it has side impact SRS in the seats. From what I have been able to gather, some models had side SRS and some did not. My son's car does NOT have side SRS, is a 5-speed, 2dr, '01 EX.

CFDBattChief
Old 09-19-2013

Originally Posted by CFDBattChief
The car does have SRS in the steering wheel,
They all have front airbags. One for driver, one for passenger.

but apparently what matters as far as a gauge cluster is if it has side impact SRS in the seats.
Correct.
There would be a label sewn into the upper seatback, plainly visible.

Random image of one, not from a Honda but you get the idea

From what I have been able to gather, some models had side SRS and some did not.
Correct

A VIN entered on many parts websites would eliminate most incorrect choices if you need an original part number for a correct cluster.

My son's car does NOT have side SRS, is a 5-speed, 2dr, '01 EX.

CFDBattChief