I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

No Cooling Fan/HVAC power

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbatt is an unknown quantity at this point
No Cooling Fan/HVAC power

Short story:
No power to any HVAC controls - No blower fan, no rear defroster, no cooling fans on radiator, causing it to overheat.

Long Story:
I got the car from my brother ~10k miles ago. It had overheating problems, I sourced it out to be the radiator fan.

I Jumped the #1 and #2 terminals in the fan switch plug to have both of the fans running whenever the ignition was on as a temp fix.

recently I found that there was no continuity between the positive side of the fan relay and where the harness comes out the back of the fuse box. The plan was to just get a new fuse box. Haven't done that yet.

about 2.5 hours into a trip last night my car started overheating. I pulled over and saw that only one of the two fans was running. I tried jumping the #3 and #4 terminals in the relay socket to see if that would turn the fan on, and I must've popped a fuse at that point. The other fan went out and my blower fan isn't working, either.

I tested and did not get a 12V reading across the socket for the fuse protecting the Radiator or AC condenser fans, no voltage feeding the fans, and no voltage coming out of the #2 terminal for the fan switch plug.

I tested the 20A fuses for the Radiator and Cooling fans (1 and 4 under the hood) and they were fine. I tested the #2 fuse inside the car (laf heater?)

I'm guessing this is a fuse issue, but I can't seem to figure out which one it is. If not, I'm worried that there are loose wires in the fuse box connection.

I just tested a direct 12V hardwire to each of the fans and they work, so it's not a blown fan motor.

Aftermarket wiring is just some fogs I put in last week. 12v from the fuse box under the hood, running to a switch inside. They still work fine, and everything was sound up until this happend.

Last edited by tbatt; 11-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No Cooling Fan/HVAC power

I tried jumping the #3 and #4 terminals in the relay socket to see if that would turn the fan on, and I must've popped a fuse at that point.
Don't play like that without knowing exactly what you are doing.
Should have blown fuse 14 in the dash box when you did that.

I tested the 20A fuses for the Radiator and Cooling fans (1 and 4 under the hood) and they were fine.
Is there 12v+ at these fuses now?
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumping the #3 and #4 sockets closes the contactor in the relay that turns the fan on. I knew that, the part I messed up was that I hadn't taken out the jumper between the #1 and #2 terminals that plug into the radiator fan switch first.

No, there is not 12V at the fan fuses.

Edit: #14 Fuse it was.

Although, r/c mirror was not what I expected to cover the HVAC stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited by tbatt; 11-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Glancing at a power distribution diagram.....
Fuses 1,2,3,4,6,9,11,12,13,14,16and 20 all share their power from the same source, the 80a main fuse.
If ALL those fuses were missing power, the car shouldn't run.
If some do have power and some don't, then it should be an internal fusebox problem.....or something wasn't checked correctly.

Not sure of any safe way to hack this....