I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sound system in civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pj0078 is an unknown quantity at this point
sound system in civic

Bah, had a massive post almost finished an my computer restarts... Just reformated and forgot to turn off automatic Windows Update

Anyways, to make a longer story short(er), I recently bought a used (shocker) 2002 Civic LX Sedan but the sound is terrible. As a musician and audiophile this won't do. The previous owner installed a Sony CDX-GT630UI head but it seems the speakers have blown (all but the front right)... While hearing only the right channel was interesting for a while, the novelty quickly wore off. I've been doing research here on the forums and elsewhere online but it will take weeks to find the free time to make a decision on what to do so I thought I'd check here for advice.

Basically, I'd rather spend around $120 or less on speakers and forgo doing a whole system as long as it would sound good at decent (not ear shattering) volume. I don't need lots of bass, but mids are pretty important with highs being secondary. I know there's not much power coming from the head (52W x4 High Power - 17 watts per channel minimum continuous average power). Don't know if it's an issue at this price range but I don't care how it sounds anywhere else besides the driver's seat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying my first stick shift and owned car but the lack of music is killing me.
Old 07-29-2012
Like WHITE on RICE.

CoMPuLSiVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sound system in civic

Welcome to the forum man. Let's see.. I have polk audio DB651's in the front. and the 6x9 in the rear. to me the sound quality is great! I've had them for almost 2 years and in my opinion it might be the best speakers at a low cost. i bought them when they were about 75$ now they're practically around 55. You should definitely look into them. I THINK, (i could be wrong) the Sedans use both 6.5" in the front & rear so they could definitely work out for you at your price range. I had to do some work to fit them in my coupe, you might have to as well..
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the quick response and welcome - I plan to be on here tons, eventually helping once I know more.

[EDIT] It's amazing how BUYING a car made me want to know how every minute detail works... I've had a car but it wasn't mine. What a difference ownership makes. Though in this case I'm in a rush to get something decent sounding and thorough research comes later :P [/EDIT]

Do you think my head unit could handle those speakers at higher volumes (not max) though? At a cursory glance that setup seems perfect. What's your head/do you have an amp?

Last edited by pj0078; 07-29-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2012
Like WHITE on RICE.

CoMPuLSiVE is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the front 2 speakers installed, and both the rear were still factory along with my factory head unit at first. No amp. They worked real smooth for me.
I then upgraded my head unit to a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT and added new rear speakers and obviously it worked a lot better. I still don't have an amp... planning on getting one real soon hopefully.
To answer your question, the speakers DID work with my factory head unit free of problems at the highest volume. But I recommend you upgrade your head unit when you get a chance!
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Well as for the head I bought the car used and the previous owner put in a Sony CDX-GT630UI which seems to get great reviews (and I've had no problems with it specifically). Not a whole lot of power though
Old 07-29-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i have a 7th gen ex. i'd think the speakers would be the same across all modles 9maybe not the si). i've been running a stock system with an after market head unit for years and loved it. the stock system is even pretty bassy with an aftermarket head, if that's what you want. it's great for classical,metal, rock and all music with normal treble levels and medium bass levels. i actually found the stock subs kicked hard enough for me for deathy metal and electronic music, while i'm in the car (i just baught a sub and amp for car meets this week).

any way i'd suggest buying the head unit first then if it's not enough change the speakers.
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Well speakers first as 3 out of 4 are worthless. Already have the Sony CDX-GT630UI or maybe you meant that isn't good enough.
Old 07-29-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

oh, i didn't see that you had the sony, lol.
Old 07-29-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

for $120 to fix your current situation to be decent,
I'd recommend 2 sets of Infinity Reference 6.5's if you have sedan
Or Infinity Kappas if you can find a set for that price
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Polk,Infintiy,Boston acustic,Diamond audio,Focal,
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just posted a video on how to use your old speakers as mounts. Maybe it will help you or give you an idea on what to do.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rs-mounts.html
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

So I think I may have narrowed it down to the following:

Head Unit:

Sony CDX-GT630UI 52W x4 High Power - 17 watts per channel minimum continuous average power into 4 Ohms, 4 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 5% total harmonic distortion.
Already installed

Amplifier:

Alpine MRP-F300 - 4 Channel 300 Watt V-Power Series Amplifier
$ 122.66

Speakers:

Polk DB651 (front doors), 55W (continuous), 92db efficiency
$ 56.80
Polk DB691 (rear doors), 125W (continuous) 300W (peak), 93 db efficiency
$ 82.39

I'm curious what yall think about the combination of the amp and speakers, power-wise and such. I do like music at a pretty good volume unless at a crowded stoplight or such (and I drive with the windows down unless it's raining or too cold), though bass isn't my top priority like it is with a lot of people. Also, is it a bad idea to have 3 different manufacturers? I don't want to be forced into looking at only Sony products because of the head (which the previous owner installed but seems to be adequate from what I know, which is, admittedly, not much).

Thanks for the video and all the information, super helpful.
Old 07-29-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good combo.

It's not a bad idea at all to have multiple manufacturers.
I have the polk's, look at my sig
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Nice to know. At first I wasn't going to get an amp but the more I research and think about it the more I think I'm going to get one...

My main concern, however, is getting it all installed and discovering there's something else wrong besides the speakers, though from my knowledge it seems like a pretty isolated system. Bought a new battery recently when I bought the car so I guess I could hook theoretically all this up outside the car and have it work as everything would be new apart from the head (installed by previous owner).

Basically, if I install all this right and the head is in good shape (seems to be), it's pretty fail proof correct?
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

raymondxcho is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're really an audiophile, I personally would put a little more money into my speakers if I were you. That's just me. Each man to his own.

There are many good brands out there like someone already listed. It's all personal preference.
Old 07-30-2012
Kenny the Ricer

I am an audiophile too, and I agree, I would put a little more into the system.

But, as a broke man to another broke man, take things one step at a time.
Buy some speakers, install them.
If you're happy with them, stick with it.

If not, add an amp.
Still not happy? Add a sub
Still not happy? Add crossovers

Just do it at your own pace, you don't want to dump $500 at once if all you needed was just a new pair of speakers in the first place
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

my speakers were hand made in Germany. true story

Last edited by lowlife9; 07-30-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I just installed Infinity reference components in the front. I paid $150 CAD for them. They're 6.5" mids and 1" tweeters, and they come with passive crossovers with a tweeter boost button on them. They are being powered by a kicker 200.4 (50w rms per channel) amp, and the rear speakers are still stock (although not blown), and damn, the difference in sound is rediculous...the infinitys are rated at 90w rms per side, so they are a little under-powered, but still, they are a worthwhile upgrade. I'll eventually change out the rears to reference series too, but for now, I just have the rears turned down and it sounds great.

TL;DR:

Compnent speakers are the way to go, such as Infinity Reference Series...just make sure they are amplified.
Old 08-15-2012
Registered!!

geopatton3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently ugraded my entire system. I had a Pioneer Avic 930Bt, which was pretty good, however with only 2 - 2.5 volt output I knew it could sound better. So I just got the Kenwood DNX6990HD, and it is hands down way better then the Pioneer. It has 5 volt output, so now my amps are producing a much cleaner sound. I have Focal 165KRX2 components for the front powered by an Arc Audio KS300.2, and Focal 165KRC coaxial with seperate crossover in the rear powered by a Arc Audio mini 125. Then for bass I have a Cerwin Vega Stroker 12 powered by a DD 1000 Amp. The system sounda amazing. I have it installed in a 2010 Civic Sedan Si.
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

ThatDude is an unknown quantity at this point

i would sound deaden the doors, put a component system up front & push them with an amp in that order. add rear speakers later on if u feel u need them.