I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alternater I assume?!?!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Alternater I assume?!?!!

So I was drIving back from work today and I lost my whole console.. Speedometer tac random lights coming on and lastly I sputtered to a stop in my drive way. When connected to my friends car I'm getting 13.5 volts (I know should be 14.5. But the battery light is on in
My cluster. I assume it's the alternator...

Easy to replace myself?!?! Anyone else have this issue. It's an 04 ex sedan with 111000 miles on it
Old 05-18-2012
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough
Re: Alternater I assume?!?!!

If the battery is old replace that first. But more than likely since it was alredy running its the alternator. Easy to do.
Old 05-18-2012
Registered!!

gummer88 is an unknown quantity at this point

That happened to me some years ago, the alternator died the next day
Old 05-18-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

It's original but the battery will charge. And stay charged when plugged in with jumpers. It dies when I'm
Driving
Old 05-18-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

IIRC - Ezone could confirm - the battery indicator light indicates an issue with the alternator not battery.

Replace it or have it rebuilt, change the PS and AC belts while you're at it if they're getting older.

It's pretty simple, if you read the timing belt DIY it covers it.
Old 05-18-2012
CO&CA

I had my timing belt done about 10K ago. All the serpentine belts were done at the same time.. Ill read over the timing belt DIY.

I was sputtering to a stop in my driveway. When Im hooked up via jumpers the battery light is still on however Im getting 13.5 volts (as my capacitor for my stereo says) when i disconnect it drops rapidly.

It was entertaining when I lost my whole cluster and I was 2 miles from my house..... i made it though haha
Old 05-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Battery died while driving = alternator isn't charging.
Battery light on = alternator isn't charging.
Alternator isn't charging = probably a bad alternator. (Does it howl? Does it stink? LOL)

The fact that the battery died is not the fault of the battery, but that doesn't necessarily mean the battery is good or bad.
Charge it up, and then recheck it after it is charged up.
Probably still ok, if it didn't sit dead for a long time.

HTH
Old 05-18-2012
CO&CA

Yeah battery is still ok but I am going to replace in since it's 7 years old... Got a replacement altinator but they gave the wrong model sO I'll finish up tomorrow