I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Need HELP Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mariom1220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need HELP Electrical Issue

about month ago some one threw out a dam beer bottle out their window on freeway & broke my passenger head light, now i bought new ones and install when fine but every time i turn on the night light it blows a fuse. I tried taking the battery out and see where could have gone wrong but not able to locate problem, as soon as i put in the battery back on alarm went off w/car horn. was unable to stop so i unplugged the the alarm & took out the fuse for the car horn. Now i can drive my car but have to use the screw driver to release the shifter so i can put my vehicle in gear & only drive with my day time lights.
Old 01-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need HELP Electrical Issue

No shifter release-- Do the brake lights work? Does the PRNDL indicator on the dash show the shifter in park when it is supposed to?
Did you go through both fuseboxes and check all of the fuses?

Lights: Start disconnecting every light you touched. Replace the blown fuse(s). Turn the lights on. Start reconnecting lights one at a time, see which one makes the fuse blow. Start troubleshooting there.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

The shifter does go through the PRNDL & the brake light still functions like it suppost to. The short happened before I installed the current front light. It happened when the 1st front light broken by the beer bottle but light stilled worked after I was driving then automatically the light stops functioning then I turned the high beams when night light went off and the fuse blew out. Now I change the fuse & when I turn the light on it blows the fuse again. I think air or water got on the cables or something to cause he short. & its the main light fuse that. Lew out. Day time lights still work & blinker still work. But main does not light up or high beams eigther
Old 01-18-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So is the lens still broke, or did you replace that? An open lens will let the bulbs get wet and shatter, maybe short out the filament.

Could you have pinched any wires when bolting in the new lens (if you did replace it)?
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

i know none of the cables are pinched because the fuse blew out before replacement, whats a filament??
Old 01-18-2012

Peer inside almost any light bulb. The filament is the tiny spiral wound wire inside of a light bulb.

You have a short circuit, or something with too large of an amp draw on whatever circuits are covered by the fuse in question.

Sounds like some regular diagnosis time is in order for you.

It was blowing fuses BEFORE the headlight was broke out?
Old 01-19-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What fuse, in what box is blowing ??