I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Replacing Head Unit on 03 EX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing Head Unit on 03 EX coupe

So I just got a 03 civic EX coupe today and I was testing out the stereo: not bad; but not good either.

I am already researching HUs and am wanting a 2-din unit (mainly cause i feel like 1-din units are overly cramped and hard to work with)

I am looking at this one right now - http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Mobile...pr_product_top Clarion cx501

was wondering what you guys thought about it - has anyone replaced the HU and noticed a noticeable difference in the audio quality with stock speakers? I want to eventually replace all the audio equip but $$ is an issue until I can save up. So for now, I will do the HU first then eventually move into getting replacing the speakers. I haven't really done any auto audio work before but I'm really handy and build furniture, computers, laptops, etc.

feel free to suggest away!

I am trying not to spend too much for the HU - <$250 would be preferable.

Also, feel free to suggest some speakers (I like really HQ speakers as I listen to a lot of bassy music so there NEEDS to be nice low-end response like below 35hz and crisp highs would be nice as well)

I am also new to the car audio world, so when I replace the HU, do I also need to get amps if i get new speakers?

Also, I am thinking I might wanna get subs eventually but I don't exactly want my car to be rattling excessively. A reasonable amount of bass is nice hehe ...

THANKS!
Old 10-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Replacing Head Unit on 03 EX coupe

welcome to the forum friend.

as for headunits, it will definitely improve ur sound dynamics because you have better control of the equalizers and generally the sound processors on aftermarket headunits are pretty good now a days (compared to our 10 year old stock headunits)

there is no need to upgrade stock speakers unless they completely blow beause you would have to run an amp to the aftermarket speaker to power them properly.

so a aftermarket headunit + bass system + stock speakers sound great. more than what you need.
Old 10-18-2011
Registered!!

hi! thanks for the advice - that sounds pretty good except now i just realized that one of the rear speakers just blew so now im looking at these pioneer 6x9's to replace em - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

whatyall think?

alsoooo if i were to get a double din HU, what parts would i need? I know the console fits it but i read something about needing a new wiring harness or panel or something

I think eventually i will also replace the front 6.5s but i'll hold off for now

Last edited by trooth; 10-18-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^those speakers are too powerful (they requires way more power than the stock headunit can offer) those pioneer speakers will need to be powered by an amp if u want them to sound properly.
Old 10-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

For speakers with some of umph, I suggest the Infinity reference or kappa lines.

As for headunit, yes I saw a significant spike in response from the stock speakers compared to the stock HU after I got my HU.
Old 10-18-2011

i have infinity kappas all round powered by a 600w amp...still a little underpowered.
Old 10-18-2011
Registered!!

alright thx for all the input guys, i guess i wont be getting overpowered speakers after all LOL

so i just found out my friend is selling a used JL audio subwoofer, do yall know the brand reputation for JL audio?

annd im also looking at different double-din units. can you guys give me your opinions on the different ones im looking at ?

JVC kw-xr610

Kenwood DPX308U

and also the Clarion cx501

also, would you guys be able to recommend me some quality budget 6 x 9s? Im not sure what would be good for an un-amped setup.
Old 10-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

JL subwoofers are known for quality.

Often times people say they're overhyped, but you really get what you pay for.
Just take a look at my setup in my sig.

non amp setups, pretty much any speaker will sound OK.
The higher the DB rating, the better though
Old 10-18-2011
Registered!!

651stp is an unknown quantity at this point

I just rescently got a system hooked up in my civic also. Suprisingly, the stock speakers are actually descent. I have two sundown SA-12X's powered by an Audioque 1200.1 and i can stil hear my stock speakers quite well through that heavy bass. Just get a good aftermarket HU, and play with the equalizer till it sounds right. I wish the stock speakers were just a tad louder on the treble side but its not bad for the money i saved not upgrading them. Me personally, im a pioneer HU fan so i would recommend those but alpine is just as good along with other popular brand. It all really depends on what features you want. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

thanks for the replies, everyone! very helpful

okay so im going ahead and getting the clarion unit soon in the next day or so. ive never replaced a HU before but im thinking all i need is this

wiring harness
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness...9143743&sr=1-3

double din dash attachment
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-HA1710...ef=lh_di_t_dup

is there anything else i need? like trim or any other cables? I plan on having a sub in the future and from what ive read it seems the wiring harness only goes to the 4 speakrs but they said i could plug rca from HU to the subs so i think thatll be okay.

alsooo will i lose any functions like any sounds or alerts or keyless entry/alarm function by replacing the stock HU?

thanks a bunch you guys
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

anyone?? pls reply soon!! Id like the thumbsup so i can go ahead and get started on my first civic diy project