I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Converting gauges Km to miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justinmill14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Converting gauges Km to miles

I am looking at buying a 2000 SiR, it was imported from Canada. The speed gauges reads in Km/h instead of mph. The odometer also reads in kilometers instead of miles. If I do buy this car I would like to convert it all over to mph if it is possible. If so, how hard would it be and how much would it cost?
Old 08-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Converting gauges Km to miles

it just requires swapping to a us cluster
Old 08-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You basically have to find one that is close in mileage... So.. do the conversion (kms to miles) yourself and look on ebay for a cluster with close miles to the one you have.. Then you have to swap it out. It's really not too bad of a job but the mileage has to be close. I can't remember the exact number but I'd say around 3000 miles. If someone knows the real number let me know lol.
Old 08-04-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

are all you US civic owners, odometer gauge recorded in M or KM?
Old 08-04-2011
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Miles lol
Old 08-04-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Miles lol
Wierd. Its KM here in Canada odometers.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

justinmill14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah thats the problem lol. The Civic I was looking at was imported from Canada, but I'm not sure that is the one I am going to get. Still looking at a few more.
Old 08-04-2011

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by justinmill14
Yeah thats the problem lol. The Civic I was looking at was imported from Canada, but I'm not sure that is the one I am going to get. Still looking at a few more.
Yeah it shouldn't be hard to swap clusters though, Just go on google and convert the km to miles then go on ebay and buy one with similar miles...i believe theres a diy on here for a cluster swap.

*Edit* Here are some 2000 civic clusters on ebay
Old 08-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You know.. In reality if you can deal with it .. There is a smaller MPH reading on the km/h cluster. It really wouldn't bother me enough to swap clusters but it's up to you.
Old 08-05-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tbohar
You know.. In reality if you can deal with it .. There is a smaller MPH reading on the km/h cluster. It really wouldn't bother me enough to swap clusters but it's up to you.
I think what would bother me though is the odometer. I can deal with the speedo, but if my I'd always have to make a mental note when looking at the mileage.
Old 08-06-2011
I am Epic

i gotta question, how do i tell if my odometer is recorded in M or KM? Im in Canada and the car was bought in Canada but says manufacturered in USA.
Old 08-06-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

^ Did you ever go to school ? Serious question.
Part of the Canadian curriculum is to be taught the IMPERIAL and METRIC system ...

And your freaking odometer records in km, cause I'm PRETTY sure it tells you somewhere on the cluster !
Old 08-06-2011

I cant decide if civicnoobie is a troll or not.....
Old 08-06-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by iSharix
^ Did you ever go to school ? Serious question.
Part of the Canadian curriculum is to be taught the IMPERIAL and METRIC system ...

And your freaking odometer records in km, cause I'm PRETTY sure it tells you somewhere on the cluster !
Where would it say on the cluster if its M or KM? Idont see anything. im guessing the USA gauge clusters look different? I could post a pic of mine if it helps.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 08-06-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2011
Whachya lookin at?

it says km/h near the top of the speedo... it reads both but the km should be bigger... i'd search for a picture but it's just not worth my time. I'm such a nice guy:

this one is km/h.. and for some reason I took this picture and had it on photobucket

Name:  IMG00302-20110628-0552.jpg
Views: 2847
Size:  51.0 KB
Old 08-07-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by tbohar
it says km/h near the top of the speedo... it reads both but the km should be bigger... i'd search for a picture but it's just not worth my time. I'm such a nice guy:

this one is km/h.. and for some reason I took this picture and had it on photobucket

Ah ok thanks. So im guessing the US ones are reversed with the M being on top? didnt know that.
Old 08-07-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Yep and the odo reads in miles . That's about the only differences that I know of.
Old 08-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

civicnoobie is pretty darn close to being a troll. he does not even understand that there are different measurement standards in other countries than his own and threadjacks someone elses threads for a thing he can find out online. and the thread is still not completely solved. whatever.

OP, i would recommend changing the cluster.
When i was in canada with my US car, no matter how many times i tell the guys at the tire shop or alignment, they would record the car in km, not miles. If any of them reports the vin and mileage/km, that simply messes up the carfax and stuff, when you have contradictory information in its logs. And it's the same as finding a cluster with similar mileage - it's illegal to tamper with the mileage of a car.