I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Specific Lights out when changing headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stewartfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Specific Lights out when changing headunit?

Last Saturday, I believe, I took off the panel by the shifter just to make sure that it would be doable for me to perform the H/U exchange on my car. After putting everything back on, I noticed that the lights (PRND,etc) were out. I hit the shifter a couple times just to see the lights come on for a second, and then turn back off, never to turn back on again. Personally, I think it's almost distracting when I'm driving since I'm used to it being there. It can also become a nuisance when I am shifting at night, as I always look down when I shift. Today, I got the headunit and installed it. Upon putting the dash back together, the lights on the bottom **** (Fan speed) was really dim, as if one of those lights had gone out. So far, that light has been working well since. Out of all of these, though, the one that bugs me the most is that the symbols on the buttons below the H/U (A/C Rear Defrost, Recirc) don't light up anymore. They still control everything correctly and the indicator LEDs still work, you just can't see which one is which at night. Otherwise, the other lights work perfectly, minu the buttons and shifter lights.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Specific Lights out when changing headunit?

Shifter = #74 bulb

HVAC= assorted neo-wedge bulbs

In your case I would replace them all.
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Ok, where do you suggest I purchase those? Should they be at my local Honda dealer? And are they substantially more expensive there? I just need white lights, right?
Old 04-06-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp

Put in your year and model. For the climate control unit bulbs, the system you want is the Heater Control, part number 1 or 12 depending on which you need. For the shifter, the system field you should choose is Select Lever, and the part number to light up the panel is 1.
Old 04-06-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you connect the "illumination" wire on the head unit?
Old 04-06-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

lol yeah check that first
Old 04-06-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The #74 can be purchased at auto parts store or at dealer, the neo-wedge at the dealer $3-$5 each.
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
Did you connect the "illumination" wire on the head unit?
No, I did not. It's just certain lights, not all of them.
Old 04-06-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stewartfan
No, I did not. It's just certain lights, not all of them.
that's the typical symptoms of connecting the illumination wires on an aftermarket HU. particularly the HVAC lighting. some lights are out, but not all of them.
Old 04-06-2011
Person

My console lights were killed when I replaced my HU and my friends shifter lights were killed when he did his.
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lollygagger
My console lights were killed when I replaced my HU and my friends shifter lights were killed when he did his.
Were you guys able to fix them or no?

Originally Posted by electric130
that's the typical symptoms of connecting the illumination wires on an aftermarket HU. particularly the HVAC lighting. some lights are out, but not all of them.
Ok, well there was no orange cord that came from the stereo's harness, so there's no way it got hooked up. Nothing's wrong with the HVAC *****.
Old 04-06-2011
Person

Oh yeah we just replaced the bulbs....easy fix.
Old 12-02-2011
Registered!!

I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I finally replaced the lights in my console and I want to share my experiences. I shopped around online and ended up just going to my local Honda dealer because every one I looked at. the quality seemed little iffy, or the shipping was way too expensive, or you had to buy in bulk. I replaced all 5 of the bulbs (Gear selector (1x), HVAC buttons (2x), HVAC ***** (2x)) even though the ones on the ***** weren't completely dead yet. It ended up being just $15 for all 5, and they didn't have them in stock but they got them to me the next day. Not too bad if you ask me. I attached before and after pictures; take a look!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	82166   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	82167  
Old 12-04-2011
Registered!!

r3fuj33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you notice if they got any brighter after the swap? Mine seem like they're getting pretty dim.
Old 12-04-2011

Originally Posted by r3fuj33
Did you notice if they got any brighter after the swap? Mine seem like they're getting pretty dim.
The bulbs can get a black buildup inside over time.

I did all 5 at once on my 05 and they looked great afterwards.