I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Brighter reverse lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Brighter reverse lights?

Yes, blinding tailgaters is a joke, obviously that would be incredibly dangerous and illegal. Neither of us would ever actually consider doing something like that.

The idea behind brighter bulbs is to make reversing less difficult, and thats the only time reverse lights turn on so it really wouldn't be a hazard to anyone. Wiring a motion light would be way more expensive and difficult than any tail light upgrade, even EDM rear fogs would be less expensive.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-08-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
yup, there are pricey but the brightest by far are the raybrig hyper clear series. 01-05 civic sedan uses 7440 bulb for reverse.
OMG gearbox i cant beleve you said that.

stock reverse use 921 bulbs. the 7440 are the 03-05 turnsignal lights.

i say do like pickup trucks and take out the reverse lights and get pepboys style driving lights and mount them to under your bumper.
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i dont think my origional intent was to blind tailgaters. its jsut an idea stemmed from someone here.

the original idea was to make the path BRIGHTER when you are in reverse (and only in reverse)
It was my idea to flip them on when being tailgated. If tailgater hits me, he's at fault, no? Also, I don't see this being any different than oncoming glare from lifted trucks or ricers who put HIDs into halogen housing. If someone drives by you with bright headlights are you ever completely blinded? If you are, you probably shouldn't be driving at night.
Old 12-08-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
It was my idea to flip them on when being tailgated. If tailgater hits me, he's at fault, no? Also, I don't see this being any different than oncoming glare from lifted trucks or ricers who put HIDs into halogen housing. If someone drives by you with bright headlights are you ever completely blinded? If you are, you probably shouldn't be driving at night.
Hey, I have HIDs in halogen housing :P

And those people who drives by, arent directly in front of me

PS.
If your tailights are blindingly bright, you are 100% at fault for a rear end
Same reason you are 100% at fault if your tail lights are tinted, they are driving hazards.
Old 12-08-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol, the king of lighting make a mistake like that? if so then ban me now

all 01-05 sedan tails use 7440 for reverse and turn, 7443 for park/brake, and w5w for park. upper mount stop light is also a 7440. for coupes youre right, reverse takes 921 and they make a raybrig of that too! i got one for my dads old miata 3rd brake because the oem was dimmer than the normal brakes and the raybrig version is at least twice the brightness. i was amazed for an 18w bulb.

Originally Posted by DieMaster
OMG gearbox i cant beleve you said that.

stock reverse use 921 bulbs. the 7440 are the 03-05 turnsignal lights.

i say do like pickup trucks and take out the reverse lights and get pepboys style driving lights and mount them to under your bumper.
Old 12-09-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
PS.
If your tailights are blindingly bright, you are 100% at fault for a rear end
Same reason you are 100% at fault if your tail lights are tinted, they are driving hazards.
If thats the case you'll need to find a source and post it. In British Columbia the car in the rear would be at fault for both collisions, unless the tail lights were completely indiscernible in which case the maximum liability would be 20% fault. The insurer would need to prove criminal negligence to make either case 100% at fault, and they would never bother taking the case to court.

By that logic, your illegal HID in stock housings would make you liable for any front end collision.
Old 12-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, well laws are different in Canada...

But then again, I live in Cali, where cops will hate on anything you do to your car.

And my HIDs would not make me liable for front end collisions for being "overly bright"
My lights just have to be white, and pointed down, which they are.
When I pull up behind a car, 20 ft away, my lights arent in their rear view mirror, so it's not a problem

I will try and ask my neighbor and some cop friends, I know a ton of Oakland PD folks :P
Old 12-09-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Lol, well laws are different in Canada...

But then again, I live in Cali, where cops will hate on anything you do to your car.

And my HIDs would not make me liable for front end collisions for being "overly bright"
My lights just have to be white, and pointed down, which they are.
When I pull up behind a car, 20 ft away, my lights arent in their rear view mirror, so it's not a problem

I will try and ask my neighbor and some cop friends, I know a ton of Oakland PD folks :P

you wouldnt necessarily be liable, but if the other side's lawyer wanted to fight it, he could use that excuse that you had illegal modified headlights that impaired his client. anything is possible.

in CA (and i believe everywhere else in the US as well) it is illegal to modify your OE lighting system. and yes, even a proper retrofit is illegal. but HIDs are like burning CDs....everyone does it. its just another tool in their arsenal that LEOs could use to pull u over.
Old 12-09-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I know your responsible enough not to blind everyone kenny, it was more a general statement on HID lights relation to liability

It being illegal to modify your lighting system in any form makes sense, but are there any restrictions on the number of lumens emitted by a given bulb?

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-09-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I know your responsible enough not to blind everyone kenny, it was more a general statement on HID lights relation to liability

It being illegal to modify your lighting system in any form makes sense, but are there any restrictions on the number of lumens emitted by a given bulb?
i keep hitting "edit"

i gotta get use to this..

anyways, i dont think there is a "limit restriction" on bulbs per say. but most halogen bulbs are around 700-1000Lm a bulb and the higher end silverstars or philisXP are close to 1100-1300lm. these are OE replacement legal.

stock OE HIDs @ 4300k produce about 3200Lm (usually a lil less).
Old 12-09-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats what I thought. I think I'm going to add the H7 bulbs for the reverse lights with Raybrig bulbs everywhere else in the tail lights, then add a switch to the reverse lights and treat them like rear fogs.

I just need to find a set of 04-05 tail lights, I've been searching for awhile.

i keep hitting "edit"

i gotta get use to this..

anyways, i dont think there is a "limit restriction" on bulbs per say. but most halogen bulbs are around 700-1000Lm a bulb and the higher end silverstars or philisXP are close to 1100-1300lm. these are OE replacement legal.

stock OE HIDs @ 4300k produce about 3200Lm (usually a lil less).
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I still find it hard to believe you wouldn't be able to see brake lights through h7 beams. If an accident were to result from that then the person following would most likely be at fault for following too close.
Old 12-09-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

guys please dont do stupid stuff like turning your reverse lights on while driving. alot of people on the road do carry guns and would not hesitate to shoot out your reverse lights and maybe your head too depending how angry they got.

as for hids, just to clear up a few things hid kits in halogen housing are illegal and always will be. this can work against you in an accident if the other guy says he couldnt see due to your illegal lights. as for real hids, the bulb may be 3200 lumen but barely 1/2 that light makes it out the projector and onto the road. the law about auto headlight adjusters is you dont need em unless the actual output is above 2000 lumens. if its below this, you can have a fixed hid projector (but very few projectors qualify for this like valeo, e39, and maybe few other older technologies). so even if you do a retrofit you still have to be cautious about blinding people since a TL projector puts out nearly 2x the light as older style projector like valeo. this can cause alot of blinding even more than hid kit if the projectors do not auto adjust on hills and bumps.
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
guys please dont do stupid stuff like turning your reverse lights on while driving. alot of people on the road do carry guns and would not hesitate to shoot out your reverse lights and maybe your head too depending how angry they got.... in Nevada maybe
Fixed
Old 12-10-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

To whom ever it was that mentioned the motion lights:
My parents driveway is lit with flood lights for about 50'. The house is way out in the county (no city street lights) with a 200' driveway. It's as my wife says, "Spooky dark". Backing out of that driveway is the #1 bitch because of the mailboxes across the street that can easily be backed into.
The ninja hedge that is behind my house is the greatest concern so I don't have to do more buffing.
I personally don't worry at all about backing up in my car. My 1988 Acura Integra has 3497 reverse bulbs that are so damn bright I have no trouble seeing through my 20% tinted windows.

I would love to see how the H7 bulbs get installed in an 01 Civic sedan reverse housing.
If I don't see how to do it I know I can get it done but the more help the better.

Nathan
Old 12-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Maybe you should set up those solar garden lights then lol
Old 12-17-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

i will make a DIY within a few days from now about it. i have both LED + H7 bulbs.

as for the LED reverse tail light, u can use a drop-in FLASHLIGHT led (R5, R2 and Q5 leds are good. they produce anywhere from 200lm-300lm). they accept anywhere from 3v-18v (safe for car's fluctuating 11v-15v)

heres a pix of the drop in flashlight led (for a surefire)

or, if u want something that will produce about 1000 lumen, put an H7 bulb in there. they are 55w and the stock wires should be able to handle them. its not like u will be leaving them on for an hr. (how long does it take u to reverse? 20sec?)

if u notice on the h7 bulb, there are two prongs that come out. u can use quick female disconnects and tap into the +/- wire of the reverse light. and bam! instant.

and since the H7 bulbs last for about 500hrs, u should be fine without replace it any time soon.
You got That DIY posted?
I found some ebay H7 bulbs for $6.50 shipped.
More info please!

Nathan
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

dude seriously don't put high beams in your reverse housings thats not very brite just get replacements .
Old 12-18-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Originally Posted by lowlife9
dude seriously don't put high beams in your reverse housings thats not very brite just get replacements .
HAHA at the "brite" spelling! The sarcasm is thick in that post.

I just ordered 2 H7 bulbs on ebay for $3.89 shipped.
Just have to wait 2-3 weeks before they show up to knock out this little project.

Nathan
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

why don't you just bolt on some spot lights to the rear of the car or possibly to your house so you can see at night maybe evan get a one with a motion detector.
Old 12-19-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Originally Posted by lowlife9
why don't you just bolt on some spot lights to the rear of the car or possibly to your house so you can see at night maybe evan get a one with a motion detector.
My neighbor has a bright *** motion light that sucks at lighting up the back yard but is great for detecting any tiny *** movement on my property.

To get back on track here, my 2001 Civic Sedan needs brighter reverse lights for backing out of my yard and my parents at night. I forgot to add she cleans two places on the weekend and those properties are poorly lit.
I am really surprised at how dim the stock reverse lights are on the Civic.
They are worse than what was on my 1994 Jeep Wrangler. I did add tractor lights to the Jeep that were actuated with a manual switch when I wanted to reverse.

I do not want to have reverse lights activated with a manual switch on the Civic. That's an option that my wife does not want.

Nathan
Old 12-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Reverse lights aren't supposed to be overly bright, thats why I suggest the LEDs. You arent meant to "see" in your rear through your tail lights.
Originally Posted by MindBomber
The idea behind brighter bulbs is to make reversing less difficult, and thats the only time reverse lights turn on so it really wouldn't be a hazard to anyone.
exactly. why are headlights white? so you can see. why are reverse lights white? so they light up the area behind the car at night. if they weren't supposed to be practical, then they could have made them blue or green, or flashing, or something other than white to make a distinctive "reverse indicator". take your reverse lights out, go somewhere dark with no lights and try to back up. you'll realize how much light they actually provide.
Old 12-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Then again, you get the same effective light output by slightly holding your brakes while backing up.

And i believe laws only permit automakers to use white/amber/red/orange lights, and thats why reverse are white.

Honestly, if you need to see reversing out of YOUR driveway, you should install lights on your driveway, not brighter lights on the car
Either that, or back into the driveway, so you leave front facing, with headlights :3
Old 12-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Then again, you get the same effective light output by slightly holding your brakes while backing up.

Honestly, if you need to see reversing out of YOUR driveway, you should install lights on your driveway, not brighter lights on the car
Either that, or back into the driveway, so you leave front facing, with headlights :3
brake lights add to it, but i know in my civic and my bimmer, the white reverse lights were much brighter than the brake lights were as far as usable light for reversing (just pop you tranny into neutral the next time your backing and you'll see how much they add).

okay, so adding lights to your house will help, but what about when your backing out of every other place that's dimly lit? (every one of my 8 family member's houses are barely lit) so it helps at home, but nowhere else. that's where brighter reverse lights would help. that's why you see 4x4 trucks with driving lights on their rear bumpers. it looks plain retarded on a coupe or sedan though. i'm sure manufacturers have to meet a certain footcandles per sq ft, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be brighter. same thing with headlights. sure halogens meet the minimum requirements, but OEM HID's add more light by far.
Old 12-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

And i believe laws only permit automakers to use white/amber/red/orange lights, and thats why reverse are white.

unh, actually OP have manual switch for his car, the civic is his wife's and she needs to reverse on other's driveways, so it's still valid.
my former GF was totally dumb to drive and a real hazard in the roads (could easily get into the canada's worst driver in discovery channel canada...), so i know what he means, even if she is not a hazard as mine was...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

The real reason of this thread is to have brighter reverse lights in bad lighting situations that you have no control over. Namely for my wife while reversing in areas that I know she could back into something and damage the Civic.
I'm just trying to save me from repairing the rear in the event of an accident when it could be avoided due to bad lighting and to save her the guilt she will flood me with if an accident happens. I'm not worried about her guilt. She has never backed into anything solid in our twelve years of marriage. "Knocks on wood!"
Take this thread as a marriage tool to cover your *** and hers, and embrace it.

Nathan
Old 01-24-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

The bulbs finally got here two days ago.
DIY is soon to come for H7 reverse lights! I will get it done in the next few days.

Nathan
Old 01-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Remember to post your results!
Old 01-25-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

I cannot make a new thread in the DIY forum.
Do I have to start it in this forum or thread?

Nathan
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

we closed a few forums awhile back in our ongoing efforts to improve the site, specifically that was an effort to get the site better organized.

Here's the appropriate area to post a 7th gen DIY, just hit new thread.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/118-lighting

Quick Reply: Brighter reverse lights?