I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound System Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a_a91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound System Help

Hello Everyone!
I need help with my sound system. Im currently running 3 10" JL w2's with a 1001bd rockford fosgate amp, the system is crazy but there is a problem. The ground wire is ****. I couldnt find a good place to ground because the power and remote wire is really short so the amp sits RIGHT behind my rear seats, so the ground being about a foot long is grounded right behind the passenger side rear seat (for those of you familiar with 04 civics) there is a little black pin that holds the carpet lining into a bracket, I sanded the body so its bare metal (good conductor) and the ground is between the bracket and the body all being held in with a PLASTIC pin. now the issue is that whenever i turn my system up above the half way point the vibration knocks the ground wire loose . If anyone knows any place that I can ground it please tell me and provide a picture aswell PLEASE to make it easier now keep in mind the shortcomings of the ground.
1. Its really short, and so is everything else so im working with very little room
2. The plastic may be the problem? interrupting the conduction but theres enough wire to metal contact all the pin is doing is holding it down.
3. There is not a problem I just need a new place to ground I dont mind drilling I just have a shitty 12v lol

Please help
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sound System Help

tap a random hole somewhere, go to autozone/home depot/etc and get a proper bolt to hold it down. My system is grounded behind the little plastic piece where the trunk latches, and all I did to hold the ground wire in place (in a random existing hole) was a nut and bolt with a locking washer.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

What do you mean tap a hole somewhere? and the trunk latch dead center? its kinda like a hump? that connects the left and right half of the trunk? you drilled right through that?
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

There's a bunch of sheet metal that is connected to the chassis (i.e. grounded). just sand down and connect it somewhere. You can take a multimeter to the spot of interest in case you wanna check for electrical continuity.

the plastic piece where the trunk latch is (not on the trunk lid, but the trunk itself) has a plastic piece over the middle of it. That part pulls up and I grounded my system there.

pic for reference.. this is my old system. but the plastic piece in the middle is what i'm talking about.

What I'm getting at is there's a lot of sheet metal in the trunk you can attach your ground wire to.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Yah, but the issue is that yours is in the back of your trunk, my amp is literally RIGHT behind the rear seats and it cant move from there because the @#$%ing power is too short lol
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

but again, like I stated in the first sentence AND after the picture, there's a lot of sheet metal in the trunk you can use as a ground. You just have to make sure it's securely fastened.

Pull back the fabric trunk liner and maybe some plastic panels and you'll see what I'm talking about. Sure, it'll take a bit more effort to make it look clean, but it'll be a good exploratory experience. I referred to my grounding setup to illustrate the fact that you can ground to pretty much every piece of sheet metal. I'm pushing 1000W, grounded to a piece of sheet metal with no problems.

edit: and next time, please only make one thread.. I'm sure it only adds stress to yourself when you have to bounce advice between 2 threads..

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Sorry bro im not getting it what do u mean by sheet metal.. like under the carpet? And true I could just screw in a big *** bolt and ground it bam right there lmao
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

yes. That is EXACTLY what i'm getting at.

[smartass]And by sheet metal. It's a sheet made of metal.. usually used for structural support. [/smartass]

lol... I'll go snap pictures.....
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

LOL this is what happens when your baked and asking people for advice. thanks I get it now though ahahahah not normally dumb btw
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

haha.. it's cool. You're lucky I like my camera.. hahaha. Pics are uploading to photobucket right now
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

pulling back the trunk lining, there's a bunch of places you can ground to. Again, take a multimeter to them just to make sure there's electrical continuity. You can also do like Kenny said in your other thread: ground to a strut bolt
Name:  IMG_1785.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  57.9 KB

here's where mine is grounded
Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  63.5 KB
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Yay, i now see why you have over 10 000 posts lmao. But i DO appreciate it
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

not to mention I've been on these forums for over 7 years now.. hahahaha
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Heres my answer from your other thread if you didnt happen to catch it
Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I pretty much have it in the same location as you

Easy fix?
Drill a couple holes, sand down the contact location, buy a few self tapping screws, and keep it in place

Better fix/ground?
Get a bigger ring terminal and ground it to a strut bolt

Best ground?
Ground it directly to the battery, that'll give you the best ground possible

Heres a picture of mine, same location, with self tapping screws, my ground wire was about 6 inches too