I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

VTEC light position opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
VTEC light position opinion

Haha,
I can't believe i want to do this, maybe i'm retarded or want to be cool, or maybe i just want some flashy lights to come on when i gas my car...

But anyways, looking at the DIY's for the cluster VTEC light, and tjg312's video of his LED VTEC light gave my the impulse to get one.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR-nyeAqHI[/YOUTUBE]

Thing is, I don't know where I should put it. He has it on his little black tab near the cup holders....
I've already used those tabs for toggle switches for all my LEDs around my car.
Name:  DSCF9565.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  33.9 KB

So, I was wondering where would you guys put it?
I'm definately not touching the cluster, so that's out of the question
I've seen people put it on the plastic panel near the windshield

But I was thinking of putting it on the plastic clip that covers the 3 bolts that hold up the rear view mirror
I was thinking of drilling in a 45 degree angle towards the backseats and put a low emitting LED here
Name:  DSCF9567.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  26.9 KB

Here's the rest of my car, where would you put it? (I have plenty of LED's all over my car, soooo....yeah :P)

I also kind of want to put them in the center A/C vents, but unsure of how i'm going to do that
Eh, just opening this thread to see some opinions on a location
Old 10-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VTEC light position opinion

Hmm, I just thought about putting it in my DIN pocket, but maybe that would look stupid :P
Old 10-09-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

You a bad, bad dog...
Go ahead! bite!
Old 10-09-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

some put it in the gauges opposite side of the dimmer switch in the plastic trim.
Old 10-09-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

or how bout a little LED on your top steering column cover?
Old 10-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
or how bout a little LED on your top steering column cover?
I was really thinking about that too, but i dont want it too distracting :P
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Install a higher resistance resistor in line (normal for a single 3.xV LED in 12V system ~470ohm. Use a.. 6xx ohm or so resistor), and file down the top of the LED to diffuse it more. That'll help dim down the LED more.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

...and file down the top of the LED to diffuse it more.
Care to give us a pic?
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

It'll actually just diffuse it.. not really dim it, per se.. The ultimate goal is to give the clear part of the LED a "frosted" look. You can accomplish this with sandpaper, as well.
However, installing a higher OHM resistor will dim the LED more.

examples
http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-defuse-an-LED/
http://www.hacktronics.com/Tutorials...your-leds.html

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-10-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Hmmm, I actually installed it a couple days ago, i went to radio shack and found these really cool 1/4 size screw LEDs that were low emitting

Installed it and looks great
Turns out our VTEC kicks in at around 2500rpm :S

Here are the LEDs
Name:  IMG_0350.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  DSCF9576.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  57.6 KB
Name:  DSCF9575.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  110.2 KB

Heres my extra materials:
Name:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  101.4 KB

And here is the end result, very subtle, and non distracting:
Name:  DSCF9581.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  DSCF9582.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  121.9 KB

Will get a video up if i can
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Did you run the wiring across the headliner and down the a-pillar?
Old 10-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Did you run the wiring across the headliner and down the a-pillar?
Yep, since ECU is behind the glove compartment
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Yea, after I posted that, I realized that's really the only way to route the wiring.. lol
Old 10-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Well, in theory, I could have routed it to back of car via driver side, through the trunk, went around the back seats, come back around the passenger side panels, and then get to the ECU....

But that takes too much wiring/effort
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Well, in theory, I could have routed it to back of car via driver side, through the trunk, went around the back seats, come back around the passenger side panels, and then get to the ECU....

But that takes too much wiring/effort
I think a kid with ADD would chose that route. But ultimately not finish routing the wiring because something shiny would grab their attention mid-wiring job.
Old 10-17-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah those radioshack holders are pretty neat
Old 10-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah those radioshack holders are pretty neat
holders?
you mean connectors? or the LEDs?
Old 10-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

holders?
you mean connectors? or the LEDs?
I think he's talking about the silver LED grommet you used
Old 10-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Eh, i guess so, but that came with the LEDs on them, i like them, saves me the trouble of making the LEDs look nicer

and only 2.49 for 2
Old 10-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

so they did.. Lol. forgot you had a pic of the package. They do sell them separately, too, if I remember correctly.. It's been a while since I bought LEDs from a Radio Shack
Old 10-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

so they did.. Lol. forgot you had a pic of the package. They do sell them separately, too, if I remember correctly.. It's been a while since I bought LEDs from a Radio Shack
it musta been a very long time since u been to the shack :P
Old 10-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

It's been since... March or April? I bought most of the LEDs in my possession from eBay because I don't know where to buy SMD LEDs locally
Old 10-30-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I finaly had the time to record a quick video of the light in action:

Keep in mind, only the first 24 or so seconds is the VTEC light in question, the rest of the vid is just me driving in the rain :3

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7igW3Y19sz0[/Youtube]
Old 10-30-2010
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

i'm an OEM freak. it MUST look factory; no ugly toggles etc. i would have taken the time to find a unused light in the cluster (03-05 theres ~12 spots.) and used OEM leds and OEM wire to make it. then make a "VTEC" window so it looks like a real OEM idiot light :P
Old 11-02-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by DieMaster
i'm an OEM freak. it MUST look factory; no ugly toggles etc. i would have taken the time to find a unused light in the cluster (03-05 theres ~12 spots.) and used OEM leds and OEM wire to make it. then make a "VTEC" window so it looks like a real OEM idiot light :P
I dont really like OEM dash looking vtec lights, hell, if it was legal, i would have underglows go off when my vtec kicks in XD
Old 11-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I think if I do a vtec light, I'll just make the LEDs I have in my a/c vents change colors
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

shortyEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
am new here in the forum

I am from Germany and just thinking how I should install vtec light.

you've left a picture where you have the cable clamped by the led?

Shorty
Old 07-06-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I'll snap a pic later on today, check back later
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

shortyEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll snap a pic later on today, check back later

nice big thx
Old 07-06-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

guten tag!

Quick Reply: VTEC light position opinion