I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

buzz in tweets

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
buzz in tweets

I'm starting this new topic because I want to give the compete rundown of what i have setup so that maybe I can get some more answers to my question.

I just installed my infinity kappa 5.25 components this afternoon and when i went to test the system everything sounds great, except for a buzzing or chirping sound coming from the tweeters, and ONLY the tweeters. I have the crossovers in mounted in the trunk and two 20 foot 16g wires running to each door from there. What is my problem? I have tried moving the wires as far from the power wire as possible but the sound doesnt go away. Why is it just in the tweets? The buzzing sound stays the same loudness no matter the volume level so at normal listening level you can't hear it unless the song has quiet spots or while i'm skipping tracks. Its very odd. It goes away if I fade the speakers all the way back. they are powered from a 4 channel amp (75wx4) with the last two channels bridged to a sub (just ENOUGH). PLease, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I've been moving things around all day trying to get rid of the noise but its still there.

The speaker wires are run along the same side of the car as my monster cable RCAs, is that a problem? They are, however on the opposite side from the powerwire, except where the passanger side wires run over the grommet in the firewall where the power wire comes through. About 6 inches below.

One more thing, the buzz is only there while the motor is on...when the car is in ACC everything is just fine. could it be the power wire is too close to the engine or something? right now it goes, as the crow flies, straight from the battery to the hole in the fire wall..... is that the problem? but again, why only the tweets????

Thanks again
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Your getting some noise in your Signal cables..could be the fuel pump, could be anything.. Did you run the power wires down the right side an signa; and speaker wires down the left side?.. Do your signal cables cross your Ground wires??
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

The speaker wires for the driver door are run down that side of the car.... the wires for the passanger door are run up behind the glove box, and down through the center consol, along with both sets of Monster cable RCAs. They are collected up under the back seat and then run into the trunk from there. The remote wire is also run down the middle. The amp is placed at the opening of the trunk, and the speaker wires all run down the middle, the power wire is run along the passanger isde of the car. The amp is grounded to one of those plastic tie down bolts for the cargo net. I scraped as much paint away from the chasis as I could with a dremmel.

thats the set up..... any ideas where the problem might be?

I just went outside to look at things again and i took out my back seat again (i have a coupe) and I pushed all the wires away from the black bunch of wires that are coming up from under the seat, and the noise is the same. Nothing is crossing the ground wires coming or going from the amp. There is one thing, the Monster cables i have have loose wire coming out of the HU end, that I think the package called ground wires. Shoud I have done something with those? I had one set of the same wires running my old amp for my sub and never had a problem, I just electrical taped the loose wire around itself.

Anyway, I'm just so pissed off that this is happening, i thought i was so careful. Ugh. Thank you so much for your time
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

This is getting really frustrating. I just went down and ripped out all my wiring and did it all over again, this time just to test I ran the rca cables OUTSIDE the car, out the driver's door and into the trunk.... then I re-ran the passanger side speaker wires over to the driver door, out that door and into the trunk.... STILL THE SAME NOISE. I can't figure out where the hell its coming from!

could this be a ground thing? But why only the tweets? and both of them equally. I am so confused. I'm so sorry this is all so scattered I just have no idea what's going on. Ground the monster cables maybe? could that channel on the amp be bad? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

By the sounds of it now..that leaves 2 possibilties..the amp is defective..or the amp is touching some metal in the car where you have it mounted and is picking up some noise...which amp do you have here?
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Actually too to see if it is the amp for sure.. Swap the speaker wires around.. wire your fronts to the rear channels of your and vice versa..see if the noise appears in your rear speakers and goes away in the fronts... if that's the case..then your amps defective..

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Its an AutoTek, and its not touching any metal at all.

I'll try switching the channels around. I have the other two channels hooked to a sub, but i'll switch the front ones to those channels and see what happens.

could the rca cable be bad? i'll try switching those too

thanks
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

RCA cables can't be bad..either they work(transfer a signal) or don't work...if you ran them outside the car and you're still getting noise..then it's the amp..if after you change the wires around and there's still noise..CHange your grounding point and Ground the amps to the rear seat bolt......if after doing al that and still noise.. well.. it's the amplifier....

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for all your help. It turns out though that, luckily (no offense) but you were wrong, well sort of. I switched everything around just like you told me and it was still making the noise, so then I put in the 2 channel amp i replaced with this new one and tried THAT amp...still made the noise. Feeling defeated I unded my HU and jiggled things around...turns out that the RCA OUT plugs on my Pioneer HU are a bit jerky and i just needed to wiggle them and the sound went away!!! So i just finished re running all the wire the way it was and, yet again, putting my car back together.... moral of the story: always check the HU and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.