I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

RCA cable length for 7th gen civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point
RCA cable length for 7th gen civic

Measured out the length, looks to be 8 feet long, so Im assuming 10 feet would be enough back to the trunk for amp installation from the headunit correct?

Oh, and basic shielded rcas are what I need right? Just run on opposite side of power wire to avoid noise?

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: RCA cable length for 7th gen civic

Power on drivers side, audio cables on the passenger side. Not sure the length you need- never measured it out. Just make sure you have enough to go from the headunit- behind the glove box- down along the floor- up the rear set, and through the back trunk wall to wherever you put your amps. Extra cable can always be tucked somewhere along the route, but extra cable cant be added (easily).
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason you say power should be on the driver side?

My battery, and thus power wire, is run along the passenger side, with audio cables on the driver side.

Also, I have 6meter and 5meter RCA cables in use (18ft and 15ft). That should be long enough for most configurations, but extra is *always* better.
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

Double Post? Stupid university wifi.
Old 07-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

It's easier to run cables on the passenger side instead of the driver side because it's hard to get them tucked around the trunk release latch. I ran power wires under the door sill and speaker wires around the edge of the headliner so they're still separated. And to run the wires tucked away like that is about 16 feet. I ran 19 feet just to have lots of slack.
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

Oh ok, so there's no reason that one *absolutely must* use a certain side for power then.

I was doing a rear speaker install at the same time, so I had the rear seats and all the panels and trim out anyways, running the RCA was pretty easy on the driver side too.

I'll try to get some pics of my setup today and post them.
Old 07-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by vsTerminus
Is there a reason you say power should be on the driver side?

My battery, and thus power wire, is run along the passenger side, with audio cables on the driver side.

Also, I have 6meter and 5meter RCA cables in use (18ft and 15ft). That should be long enough for most configurations, but extra is *always* better.
Because the fuse box is on the drivers side, if you run audio cables past it, it could interfere. Running your power wire past the fuse box is fine.
Old 08-04-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I just installed a 4 channel amp in my friend's car over the weekend and we ran some RCA. He had a 12 foot and a 17 foot, neither of them would reach around the sides so we popped off the rear seat cushion (just pull up) and ran the cabling under the carpet, under the center console and up behind the deck. The 12 foot barely reach with 2 millimetres to spare. And the 17 foot reached quite fine with some slack. This was muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier than running them up the sides, I was amazed at how easy it was.