I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

fog lights help... i searcherd

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eggot is an unknown quantity at this point
fog lights help... i searcherd

hey guys i have a problem. i have been reading for the past three days looking for a solution. my fog lights wont turn off when my car is on. its always on. but when i take the key out then my fog lights turn off.. thats the only time the turn off. my question is, is it the switch, the relay, harness etc. i know i read all this stuff about ebay fogs. well i got them and they worked when i first put them in. the button and all that worked. i figured it was something to do with the switch cause it worked fine before.

i did the install my self and went with the diy guide by bis on 7thgenhonda.com. my power is on the cigarette lighter. my question is i have 4 wires for the switch. one black(the ground) 2 red wires leading to the fuse(positive) and a yellow wire that goes to the relay.

i bought a new switch but only has three prongs.. they say one is ground, the other is a power source, and the other is a source. not sure what any of that means. so can anyone help me ;... please
Old 03-21-2009
Registered!!

97EK will become famous soon enough
Re: fog lights help... i searcherd

If your power is coming from the cigarette lighter, your fogs will come on whenever your cigarette lighter is getting power (in other words, whenever your key is in the "auxiliary" and "on" positions in your ignition).
Old 03-22-2009
Registered!!

phil6006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: fog lights help... i searcherd

The correct way this should be hooked up:

btw, you should have a SPDT switch, unless it is a LIGHTED switch. If it is lighted, the the pole marked power most likely means it needs a separate 12V source for that light. Is it a radioshack switch?
This can be used as an on off switch. you're only using the middle and one of the other ones. The one you pick doesn't matter unless the switch can only be mounted one direction and you care which way to flip the switch. You should be using a SPST Relay too.

So, the positive (+) from cig lighter going to the middle pole on the switch. Then from one of the other poles, go to the 85 or 86 terminal on the relay. This should be a normally open relay (most are).

How to hook up the rest of the relay:
http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/relay101.htm

Last edited by phil6006; 03-22-2009 at 05:07 PM.