I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2001 Honda Civic EX electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imanoob is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic EX electrical issues

Hello, I have very little experience with cars so I'll just describe the problem as detailed as I can. I have a 2001 Honda civic EX, standard transmission. A couple weeks ago while driving on the freeway, the SRS light turned on, then the ABS light came on, then the radio light started to shutter until it turned off entirely, then all the meters shut off on the dashboard and went to zero, or empty etc. but the engine still worked. The longer i drove the more lights would turn on, such as the brake light, the check engine light, while the headlights would dim. However if i would slow down to a certain speed the warning lights would turn off and the meters would turn back on. I had the car checked as far as the battery and alternator goes, and according to autozone the alternator was fine, but the battery was about to kick the bucket so I went ahead and bought a new battery and the car was fine for about a week. Now the same problem began with the ABS light coming on, then the SRS etc. except the meters never began to function again and more and more lights on the dashboard turned on, the cruise control light, the check oil light, and others until i could no longer accelerate and the power steering went out. I have no idea what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can offer so I don't get screwed over if i have to take my car to an auto-repair shop. Please let me know what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda Civic EX electrical issues

sounds more like alternator to me.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

[H]ashlee[H] is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imanoob
Hello, I have very little experience with cars so I'll just describe the problem as detailed as I can. I have a 2001 Honda civic EX, standard transmission. A couple weeks ago while driving on the freeway, the SRS light turned on, then the ABS light came on, then the radio light started to shutter until it turned off entirely, then all the meters shut off on the dashboard and went to zero, or empty etc. but the engine still worked. The longer i drove the more lights would turn on, such as the brake light, the check engine light, while the headlights would dim. However if i would slow down to a certain speed the warning lights would turn off and the meters would turn back on. I had the car checked as far as the battery and alternator goes, and according to autozone the alternator was fine, but the battery was about to kick the bucket so I went ahead and bought a new battery and the car was fine for about a week. Now the same problem began with the ABS light coming on, then the SRS etc. except the meters never began to function again and more and more lights on the dashboard turned on, the cruise control light, the check oil light, and others until i could no longer accelerate and the power steering went out. I have no idea what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can offer so I don't get screwed over if i have to take my car to an auto-repair shop. Please let me know what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks.
My car had that same problem over the summer. i also took it to autozone to have the altenator tested and it was fine....bought a new battery and it was fine for about a week or so then wound up having to jump start my car anytime i wanted to go sumwhere...all the lights were going nuts and the car was acting possessed...lol

but you may want to take your car to someone who knows all about the wiring in and around the motor and battery area. that was the problem with mine. the guy i had bought it from wired the whole car wrong which after a while caused it to go all bipolar on me. so i know a few ppl if you dont who can fix that problem in like ten minutes or so for a little of nothing.....no need in takin it to a shop to spend an a** load of money.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

imanoob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ashlee, thanks for the response. I'm not sure if the problem is how the car is wired because i bought it straight from the dealership, even though the problem might still have to do with the wires and such. I live in Glendale, AZ so if you know people or auto shops that you'd recommend around that area I would very much appreciate it, I'd certainly like to avoid the a**load of money option. Also, if you don't mind, I was wondering how much I should expect to spend on this type of repair. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

VtechXavi is an unknown quantity at this point

i as well have a 2001 honda civic ex standard and i also have the same issues. Though my car has not died or my power steering failed i am having the lights come on should i probably go get my car checked out?
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

yes of course. Its probably an alternator problem as gearbox has already stated.
Old 06-20-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by imanoob
Hi ashlee, thanks for the response. I'm not sure if the problem is how the car is wired because i bought it straight from the dealership, even though the problem might still have to do with the wires and such. I live in Glendale, AZ so if you know people or auto shops that you'd recommend around that area I would very much appreciate it, I'd certainly like to avoid the a**load of money option. Also, if you don't mind, I was wondering how much I should expect to spend on this type of repair. Thanks again.
im not quite sure about the Glendale area. i am from KY. i can give u the number to 2 guys who could probably let u know whats goin on....
even from the dealership, things can still be wrong. that is their common means of making money unlesss u were lucky and got a trustworthy one lol.

but believe me when i say that is part of the problem. also check ur fuses if any of them are blowed it could send current to the working ones and cause them to go bipolar-ish on ya then eventually blow those as well.

and with my guys u aint spending over $100.00 for any of this.
Old 06-24-2009
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough

I had the same problem. Alternator was fine, battery was good. Charge the battery and everything was good until it ran low and eventually the car would shut off and die from no power.

Turned out to be a loose cable. The connection between the big cable from the engine-area to the battery was not completely tightened to the terminal. So the alternator was working, but nothing was charging!

Something simple to check. Cost me $95 to find that out at the stealership...
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

while your stuff costed you a whole new butt hole mine costed me zilch......
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

bbygrl20012004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: 2001 Honda Civic EX electrical issues

I have a 2001 civic ex 5spd. I left my lights on at work one day and went out and there was a clicking noise..battery was dead...got it jumped and it lasted about 3hrs b4 it died again. second jump lasted about 20minutes. took it to advance and autozone said alternator was good battery was bad...replaced the battery..same issue...put on a brand new alternator, drove it around the block, came backa nd the alternator was smoking. any ideas?
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

hon_civ_2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point

imanoob

i have the exact symptoms with my 2002 civic. what did you do or what was the problem ? Thanks for your reply
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

JSHIH57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bbygrl20012004
I have a 2001 civic ex 5spd. I left my lights on at work one day and went out and there was a clicking noise..battery was dead...got it jumped and it lasted about 3hrs b4 it died again. second jump lasted about 20minutes. took it to advance and autozone said alternator was good battery was bad...replaced the battery..same issue...put on a brand new alternator, drove it around the block, came backa nd the alternator was smoking. any ideas?
I have 2001 Civic EX sedan, auto transmission; nothing but trouble. Here are just the Electrical problems:
1.)Radio, first of 4 recalls, original one lost memory every time started car. 2 months ago, replacement OEM radio stuck on 1 channel, won't respond to any front panel controls, WON'T EVEN SHUT OFF AFTER REMOVING IGNITION KEY. DRAINED BATTERY, towed to dealer, replaced battery, radio ok. A few days later same problem again. Back to dealer again, want > $400 TO REPLACE OEM radio, refused, paid $90 just to unplug radio. Installed after-market radio with much more features for $200.

2.)"charging" & "Malfunction" indicators came on suddenly, speedometer & odometer stopped working. Alternator fuse blown, replaced fuse, lights went off & battery was charging. Few seconds later, fuse blown again. Disconnected alternator, blown fuse again. Came to conclusion alternator ok, ELD bad; as confirmed OBD-2 Diagnostics (p1298, 1 of 4 codes). bought ELD from dealer, but can't find the original one to replace. Was told it is located under or inside the external fuse box; also confirmed in forums. Appreciate anyone can share similar experience.
Old 11-11-2013
Registered!!

dabail10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a very similar issue with our 2001 Civic EX a couple years ago. I described the radio as being "possessed". I also replaced it with a JVC at Car Toys about two years ago, but it just died. I've also experienced the odd speedometer issues. I suspect there is a larger electrical issue here.

With the speedometer, it just registered about 20 mph over what I was actually going. So while at rest, it still registered 20 mph. Strangely enough when I got home and turned the car off, the needle dropped about 5mph. I turned on to ACC and off repeatedly until it reset to 0 and it has worked fine since then. Generally seemed to be during the warm weather.

Have you been able to find the root of the electrical issue? Were you able to install the ELD finally?

Cheers,
Dave

Originally Posted by JSHIH57
I have 2001 Civic EX sedan, auto transmission; nothing but trouble. Here are just the Electrical problems:
1.)Radio, first of 4 recalls, original one lost memory every time started car. 2 months ago, replacement OEM radio stuck on 1 channel, won't respond to any front panel controls, WON'T EVEN SHUT OFF AFTER REMOVING IGNITION KEY. DRAINED BATTERY, towed to dealer, replaced battery, radio ok. A few days later same problem again. Back to dealer again, want > $400 TO REPLACE OEM radio, refused, paid $90 just to unplug radio. Installed after-market radio with much more features for $200.

2.)"charging" & "Malfunction" indicators came on suddenly, speedometer & odometer stopped working. Alternator fuse blown, replaced fuse, lights went off & battery was charging. Few seconds later, fuse blown again. Disconnected alternator, blown fuse again. Came to conclusion alternator ok, ELD bad; as confirmed OBD-2 Diagnostics (p1298, 1 of 4 codes). bought ELD from dealer, but can't find the original one to replace. Was told it is located under or inside the external fuse box; also confirmed in forums. Appreciate anyone can share similar experience.
Old 11-11-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

it was two years ago, 2 posts from member... don't think he will reply...