I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Projector Headlight Housing or OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Projector Headlight Housing or OEM?

wow great job! looks very nice. and yes the bmw ballasts at least on bmws are just mounted open in the engine bay. they are pretty beefy and shouldnt need waterproofing. the only problem i guess is the driver side projector cutoff is backwards. it should be both sides like this __/-- __/-- but you have it like this --\__ __/-- so it might blind traffic a bit if you dont aim it lower. lower cutoff should always be on the left and upper cutoff on the right. unless you live in japan. you prolly got one projector from overseas or something with the reverse cutoff.
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gezer77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I went to aim them tonight. I've read how-to from HIDplanet and I think I have the height adjusted and rotation adjusted okay. It still looks a little off to me but I'm not sure how important it is to have it perfect. It's pretty hard to adjust it just a fraction.

My last question is: in terms of how far away the "slants" are, how far away should they be? I can see each independent projector and it's beam in mine. Should they be pointed closer together so they blend?

I'm sorry about the crappy pictures, I forgot to bring my camera and so I just did it with my phone.

and Gearbox it looks to me to be like __/--__/--
I'm not looking at it wrong right? haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_019.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	75347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_020.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	75348  
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i think its fine. purpose of aiming is to provided usable light at a fair distance and no blind people. long as it does that, i don't think it has to be absolutley perfect.
Old 11-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ha yeah my bad. in the last pics the steps are correct. the aiming looks right on the money. as far as space between them, they should point straight out from the headlight without pointing inwards or outwards. again, doesnt have to be exact. mine are a bit inwards so they start to blend a bit at longer distance.
Old 11-29-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

very nice. i'd bring in the passenger side a bit to the left. even at 25 feet, the high side of my driver side blends into the high side of my passenger side. ideally, when the beams merge with the road at a distance, the beams should appear as one. fine tuning can be a real PITA. the only way i could tweak mine was to drill holes in the back of the housing so that i could make adjustments while the lights were on the car.